What's in your bag?????

Saint-Brown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When you do home visits for portraits, what do you carry with you. Do you travel lite, ie. camera and speedlight, or do you bring the whole 9 ie back drops, studion lights and such. I'm trying to get my niche and just trying to get a feel for what others are doing.

I bring my camera, my flash (although I never use it, I just want it for just in case), and my alien bee light set up. No backgrounds. I'd rather use their home's natural settings. I try to just use available light, but the bees is there in case it's just too dark in their home.

Well, I would bring the speedlights for CLS, the 17-55 for anything environmental and the 80-200 for when I want to isolate the subjects.

I take a lot of stuff.

I have a rather large suitcase that has three AB lights, a few backdrops/sheets, misc accesories, umbrella, small light stands, and maybe more.

My backdrop stand has it's own travel bag and I have a large light stand attached to the outside of that bag. Then I have a somewhat large box that holds my fold-able soft box.

It's actually a bit of a pain to travel with all that stuff...but that's part of my service...I bring the studio to you.

It's better to lug around extra stuff that you feel like you never use, than to need something, realize you own it, and then remember that its sitting at in your closet.

what if you show up to shoot a couple and when you get there uncle Bob and all 26 of their cousins have stoped by for a visit, and they say

"Can we add a few group shots to the package? We will probably want extra 8x10 for the everyone."

I've been doing what Big Mike has been doing, bringing everything. I have muslin backdrops and I have been considering the foldable backdrops but I'm not sure if it is worth it. Is anyone using them?

If I'm working in the home, you bet I'm bringing the studio lights. Camera, tripod, and grey card.

I never bring backgrounds.

Heh... for nearly 30 years, I have a mantra that goes through my head when I'm packing the bag: "Camera and cable (release), vignettes and shade, meter and grey card, film and tripod." I hear this in my sleep! Of course, these days it's "virtual film" and the meter's in the camera.

-Pete

No backgrounds. I'd rather use their home's natural settings.

This is what I do... always.

I try to just use available light, but the bees is there in case it's just too dark in their home.

I always plan on creating my own lighting. It's not so much the level of ambiant light, but rather the quality, direction and placement of light that concerns me.

-Pete

Sunpak 544 and a big bounce, primarily. I'll bring a Broncolor and a 33x43 if I'm doing anything formal.

Camera and backup camera - 24mm, 50mm and 85mm prime lenses - expodisk for whitebalance and exposure setting - big ol tripod - Q Flash on a stand (used in EVERY portrait - just a little pop to make the eyes twinkle). Plus all the other little things like sync cords, cable releases, etc.

I've never understood, why use a fake backdrop when you have anywhere in their home for the background? I've never been in a home that didn't have at least one great location, either inside or out.

I do have 2 White Lightnings that live in my car - used when doing inside portraits. I set them up to enhance the natural light, not to bring studio lighting into play.

Don't forget the CF card! :blushing: (Yes, and I had to call my wife for a quick delivery.) Now I keep an emergency 1 gig card in the bag.

I've never understood, why use a fake backdrop when you have anywhere in their home for the background? I've never been in a home that didn't have at least one great location, either inside or out.

Well Mike, unfortunatly I have been in homes that are not portrait worthy. I'm always thinking I don't want to get there and oh sh*t.

Most reactions

Back