What's in your Top 5 camera Want list?

Heidi Rosser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had a conversation with someone on this the other day.
As avid collector's we all have our Top 5 cameras we'd really like to have in our collection.
Being what is considered a young collector (only been collecting for under 5 years). I still have a lot to learn and discover.

My top 5 was...
1. Leica 3g
2. Contax Type 1 has to be black
3. Alpa Camera
4. Canon Rangefinder
5. Nikon S3 or S2

I have achieved 4 of these so now so I'm looking for items for my new top 5.

So far I have...

1. Nikon S3 or S2 as still missing from the first 5.
2. Robot Camera
3. Leica M2 or M3
4. ?
5. ?

What's in your Top 5?

Hmmmm .... I look over what I have and I’m pretty well satisfied. A lot of times I scan eBay but really have a difficult tile coming up with candidates. I’ve learned about the two types of GAS. Type 1 is when say you buy a Contax II or so, and then it’s lenses, filters, viewfinders etc. Type 2 is different. That’s Curiosity GAS. In this case you read Mike Eckman’s glowing review of an Ansco Automatic Reflex TLR, then immediately open a page load eBay, find and buy one. (BTW I done that). ••••••. So, I think a lot of “next one to buy” is very spontaneous. Of course, a target usually is a long standing want, like the OP suggests, and a list of 5 is very much in ones mind.

What's in your Top 5?
Not so much bodies, but I have some lenses on my wish list. At one time in the 1970's I had probably over two dozen old film cameras that I collected mainly for the esthetics of them. Instead of trying to find all the different sizes of film to fit, I just kept them for a while, and then sold them all at my tag sale.

As of now, I have two DSLRs which is all I want.

I'll have to think about this as I have about 20 film cameras I still want in the collection.

For sure want another Nikon F2 (mine got taken when 2 punk kids broke into the house I was renting).

I don't have a specific wants list but at a guess :D

A 5x4 Sanderson hand camera with red bellows and a Dagor lens
A late 1930's 10x8 Gandolfi field camera with book form and International backs
A 10x8 Thornton Tourist camera with the revolving lens board and 3 lenses
An 8x20 Korona Banquet field camera
A Reid III with f2 TTH lens

When i was at University in the early 1970's boxes of unassembled Reid III's and lenses were found, they were finished and sold for a remarkably low price but still too much for a student :D

I saw a Thornton Tourist for sale 2 years ago at a camera fair for sale with a roll film back as a well as a normal back, almost certainly a prototype. It was very early as it pre-dated Pickard joining the company.

Ian

Nikon F3
Mamiya RB67
Hassy 500c
Canon canonet gIII QL
Yashica mat 124G

The F3 would go with my F and F2. Would love a cleaner copy of the F2 someday. The clear bias here is mechanical cameras, but the F3 is so legendary that I really oughta have one.

Honorable mention: Olympus OM-1; Fuji GW690; Minolta SRT-201

Great to see everyone’s top 5.
Ian I have to take your Reid iii and add that to one of my missing spots. Just been reading up on them now. I love cameras that have an interesting history. It’s a big switch from making aircraft instruments to making cameras. Sounds a bit like Alpa switching from watchmaking to camera production.
Will have to look into Nikon F2 & F3 they seem to have great reviews.

I’m terrible for buying cameras from GAS, I read the reviews and instantly want one. Loved the review Mike Eckman on Alpa cameras. Instantly wanted one.

Ok, I think this could be my top 5 wanted film cameras......

-Nikon F2 (black body) w/ 55mm macro (plus ext tube) and a 135 telephoto.
-Contax S (Spiegelreflex) w/ Sonnar 57mm f2.
-Fujifilm G617 (6x17cm format).
-Pentax LX body.....dream of the complete system.
-Tachihara 4x5 w/ Schneider or Rodenstock 150 f5.6.

Ok. I suppose it’s the masochist inside me....but I’m drawn to the insanely obsolete and incredibly complicated Graflex Graphic Model 0.

Well, I just got the Sigma 105mm Art (beast). So, I'm seriously considering getting a ff mirrorless body. Maybe the Canon RP. I can't justify th R5 or R6 so I think the RP is perhaps the best current option for me.

Well, I just got the Sigma 105mm Art (beast). So, I'm seriously considering getting a ff mirrorless body. Maybe the Canon RP. I can't justify th R5 or R6 so I think the RP is perhaps the best current option for me.

This is the Film photography section.

Ian

This is the Film photography section.

Ian

Oops, so it is. My bad :D

how about a vintage pocket camera with removable lenses? vin
1.JPG
1.JPG
1.JPG
1.JPG

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 114
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
Ok I’ll bite...

1 Compass LeCoultre camera and kit
2 Kodak Ektra 1940 kit (had one and sold, dummy me!)
3 ...

That’s it!

Nikon Half-frame rangefinder.
Kodak Ektra

Most reactions

Back