What's the Best Online Source for Equipment Purchase (Bodies/Lense/packages)?

NoFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm working with a budget of $1,200 and looking at the Nikon d5500 with at least the 18-140mm AF-S VR lense. Id also like a 70-300 to go with it, either the Nikon one or the Tamron one with Macro (which may be the winner as I found it for $99).

My issue seems to be finding a site with good deals but that also carries the USA version, not the grey market. Initially when researching cameras and then prices I was OK with the import model since it saved money and most sites offer their own warranty to make up for the manufacturers one not being valid. But then I researched more and saw things like not being able to get firmware updates for the cameras, or shops not wanting to do repairs on grey market even if you pay, and issues with some of the sites that sell them and their customer service and warranty policies and I just decided Id rather pay the extra money for the USA version and peace of mind.

Everytime I see a good price it turns out to be the import, but more importantly some sites you really cannot tell this at all unless you dig around. Big sites that seemingly have thousands of daily customers and come up in Google shop results and such, so it's not like they are sketchy "back alley" internet sites haha. But you can't tell it's an import until you read the warranty details and see its from the site not Nikon, or you read customer reviews saying it's the grey market version. Then there are sites like B&H or Adorama which clearly state they carry grey market versions of products (but makes it seem like it's in ADDITION to the USA versions, like an option?), but have "Nikon authorized dealer" logos on all the pages which is what I'm told to look for to know its a USA product. It's all so confusing! And the best part is I tried to call both B&H AND Adorama to ask them for clarification and they're both closed until Friday for some Holiday....how's THAT for timing haha!

Right now on Adorama it's $1,096.xx for the d5500 body and 18-140 lense as a kit, and they throw in a 32gb sd card, 3pc filter set, cleaning kit, and camera holster case. B&H has a similar kit for same price but it's out of stock. If those are the USA version then it's the best price I've seen so far. Best Buy has it for $1,099 but without the extras, and Walmart only has bundles with the red body for some reason, which I don't like at all. Plus Walmart and Best Buy = tax, which is another $85-ish that could be memory cards or tripod or SOMETHING else that isn't "the man" haha. Amazon is confusing because the same exact thing is listed for different prices and some are USA and some are 3rd party sellers that are grey market and others look like it's not the lense you want but if you click it there's options to change, and it goes on and on. eBay is mostly all the import versions. I think searching for the best price is more confusing that reading all the camera and lense specs/reviews the past few months!!!

Are there any other/better sites out there that may have a better price for that body/lense combo? And can anyone clarify which version this would be from Adorama and B&H, import or USA? Specifically Adorama since theirs is in stock and I'm really itching to make this purchase so I can start using it!

Adorama and B&H are both excellent retailers. I have purchased from both a number of times and would not hesitate to do so again.

The only real difference is that grey market items do not carry a warranty; Nikon WILL NOT touch them. I am quite sure that Adorama and B&H provide their own warranties for grey market, but you would probably do just as well to get the USA product to begin with. I read somewhere that Canon will sell you a warranty, but I don't really know.

I know Adorama & B&H close down on Friday evenings, as the owners of both are Jewish. There is a representative from Adorama that stops by here occasionally so you can try to send a PM to HelenOster.

For used, you can also trust KEH.

You are thinking like a camera and lens is a commodity like a watermelon that has no service tail.
Buy from a reputable dealer with good service and good reputation in case you do need service or support and stop trying to figure nickels and dimes.

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out, WHO the reputable dealers are. That's what I was saying, I DONT want to go cheaper and sacrifice the warranty and service, which is why I don't want the grey market versions. Most places I'm finding online sell the imports. I don't have a brick-and-mortar camera shop locally but I DO have a Best Buy and Walmart. I don't really consider them camera dealers, that I could be confident in should something go wrong anyway. They're just big box stores, not like talking to someone in an actual shop. And I just noticed on Walmart's website, the body/lense kits don't even come from Walmart. It's a 3rd party store that also sells on Amazon. This is why I was asking for suggestions to a good place to make the purchase. Of course the cheaper the better, in terms of comparing prices, isn't that how most people shop, regardless of the "commodity?" Just looking for the authorized dealer with the best reputation and price on what I'm interested in, not just the lowest possible price, that's why all the import results are aggravating, having to sift through and see what BS or not before you can even look at the price.

To repeat: Adorama and B&H are reputable for both new and used; KEH is reputable for used. I would not hesitate to purchase from Best Buy if they had what I wanted (limited inventory).

Does B&H usually restock quickly? The ONLY d5500 kit marked out of stock out of all the different ones on their site is the black body 18-140mm kit, aka the one I want haha.

Another vote for B&H, Adorama, and KEH. I've used all three and had great experiences with them. Not sure on restocking time though. If you're lucky, KEH sometimes has brand new stuff.

Actually, it turns out KEH has a NEW D5500 body in stock as well as an 18-140. I'd sneak a peek at them, see if they meet your price requirements. Their customer service is top notch.

Yes. B&H restocks as quickly as any other retailer can.
B&H is the biggest single brick and mortar retailer of camera gear in the USA, but they can only restock as fast as Nikon can build gear.

Most reactions

Back