"What's underneath" - please critique

JESWAW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
"Whats Underneath"

100_3310.jpg

A Bridge in northern KY, looking at a ladder going underneath it...

edit: i dont use photo shop. But please outline points/areas that need help. Im still learning

only one photo at a time is allowed in the critique section

Work on straightening your horizon; the crookedness is distracting.

Hiya JESWAW, welcome to ThePhotoForum, and thanks for quickly editing your post, so there is only ONE photo here for us to critique, and in DEPTH, if ever possible. I changed the title to your thread (now no longer with several photos) accordingly.

As to your photo in question:
I feel it is overexposed and the colours are therefore washed out. If you were to use pp software, this could be remedied. If you don't mean to use any, learn how to deliberately underexpose just a little to better bring out the colours.

The crookedness of this photo has been mentioned, and it is something that also distracts me quite a bit.

In general, I don't find the subject of your photo interesting, despite the title you have given this photo. It doesn't really grab me, I don't really want to know what it is that is underneath, for I can see it: water. If there is something else to where the ladder would take us, we don't see anything, not even a HINT of something interesting there, so actually all I see is a lot of boringly grey wall in the entire left of your photo.

Well its interesting, but don't think you need all the frame... I wonder about leaning over that Ladder, and shooting down, then your background would be a solid Green, and even throw that out of focus?? Concentrate on the Metal of the ladder itself, show the chipped textures of paint and rust...

Certainly overexposed. There is absolutely no detail in the road, just a mass of white. Perhaps leaning further out (if safely possible) to rid so much of the unappealing side of the bridge.

As the antihesis to New England Moments, I offer to have a greater DOF is required to see the detail of the trees on the opposite river bank. Either option may work.

I do like the calm of the water in the treeline reflection transitioning to the wrinkled look of the water beyond (North to South). However, I think the tree limb in the water is distracting.

Certainly overexposed. There is absolutely no detail in the road, just a mass of white.

You call this overexposed?

h1nv6.jpg

You must be out of your mind. It most certainly is not.

The highlight blip on the right represents what appears to be a blown out area on the road. There is actually data there. Some simple high-pass masking fixes the problem (this is a quick edit).

h2em6.jpg

As for what you can do to fix it if you don't use PS, you'll need to find some way to darken the road.

As for the photo itself, I don't find the subject and composition to be particularly interesting.

ok, a lot of c&c going on, but thats good ey...Also, this is shot with a cheap point and shoot camera....never opened or played with PS in my life...so im glad im getting feedback..

As to the limb in the water. Sorry, I couldnt Exactly move it, you know? But i couldve shot another ladder. And honestly, the road itself is over exposed in the orginal picture.

Original
30351-1.jpg

I did make it worse, but it sucked to begin with. And if someone could take it to PS and get the tilt of it right i would greatly apprciate it

Again, thanks for the feed back

You call this overexposed?

You must be out of your mind.

Yes and definitely yes

As to the limb in the water. Sorry, I couldnt Exactly move it, you know?

The point I was trying to make is that if there is something in your shot that isn't working and there's no way to change your POV to avoid it, pick your battle another day or choose another shot. I think you had your creative hat on that day, it was just tilted a bit. Keep on keeping on.

One final thought, bear in mind which gallery you post your shots in. Perhaps read the gudelines once more. No offense intended.

One final thought, bear in mind which gallery you post your shots in. Perhaps read the gudelines once more. No offense intended.

What do you mean?

Whats POV?

And im new to these forums, I usually sit on car forums for the most part

Edit: Also, could any of this be corrected in PS?

Here is a straightened-up version. Hope you don't mind.

skieur

underneath_st.jpg

What do you mean?

You posted in the General Critical Analysis. The guidelines state:
This section is for serious, thorough critique of finished photographs only. No works in progress, please. If you have questions about or problems with your photo, it does not belong here. Please read the section rules before posting.

Whats POV?

Point of View

Edit: Also, could any of this be corrected in PS?

skieur beat me to the punch

If you have questions about or problems with your photo, it does not belong here. Please read the section rules before posting.

I thought it looked good. But every one has differant taste ey? Exactly, so since everyone was giving bad rep, all i did was ask why. I dont use photoshop to correct my mistakes, so sorry on that one. And i did read the rules, which is why i posted a pic, one i thought was decent, i was finished editing. You seen the org. picture of the road. Not much I can work with since I dont have PS you know.

Thanks skieur, I dont mind. Im glad you took the log out also:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back