What's your favorite interview question?

I think selection should be a whole process instead of a mere interview where you hear the applicant's knocking knees!

But I should cut short since I'm diverting from the main topic :)

The hiring process is often just that, a process. I think most places have at least two interviews with a person before hiring them. The first interviews weeds people out, the second can delve a little deeper and be a little more comfortable since you've already met. But realistically, employers can't take weeks talking to people before hiring someone, positions need to be filled and those people interviewing probably need a job.

But yeah, back on topic... hmmm, I've only interviewed once, and I hated it, so I don't really know any good questions. Sorry nevey!

markc said:
"What's your favortite swear word?"

I've always liked that one.

Ever asked that to someone during an interview?? :)

Interviewing applicants for a technical position I've always found simple, ask them what they've worked on, pick something from their answer that you're familiar with and then ask them how they tackled some technical detail of the work.
If they really know anything about the subject it's like kicking over a filing cabinet and can be tough to get them to shut up. If you get "well that was handled by someone else" or some other non-informative answer move to the next applicant.
However, when it comes character assessment or judging work ethics I've no idea because I've never found an accurate way to judge or know of anyone who has. It's all your best guess and whether you can establish a rapport with them.

I agree, you can't really figure it out in a 1/2 hour interview. I've been very fortunate in the past, and have hired 3 people that volunteer for me first. (I work in a hospital). They all turned out to be just as good as employees as they were as volunteers.

Back in October I hired someone who interviewed really well. I had previously met her and always thought she was professional and polite. She turned out to be my worst hire in 4 years of hiring people. She left her 1st day of orientation early with an emergency, she did NOT catch on to the most basic things and when I finally got her to quit she didn't show up on her last day. Guess you could say I'm cautious after that one.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

A friend of mine in his roll as a city councellor when interviewing prospective administrators used to ask "have you ever shot a man in Reno just to watch him die?". Oddly enough the guy that never flinched and had a good comeback got the job. :eyebrows:

I once interviewed for a job...the first two interviews were over the phone and about an hour each...then a three hour visit that included another interview, a math test, a tour followed by a test on the tour...I think there was a committee interview as well. After all of this, they gave the job to someone within the company :roll:

I once heard that one employer would watch the applicants arrive and have someone check how tidy the interior of their car was...might not be true but I do try to clean up my car when I go for an interview now. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back