Whatsit #118

From the scale and the finish on the object, I'm guessing that we're seeing the surface of the actual metal, in which case the variation is due to the alloy structure. If it was paint, it would be smoother, unless it was a form of powder coating, which can hold a microtexture. The curvature in the last image implies some kind of clasp. However, I don't see any wear marks on it, so that idea is probably not true. Sparky - you've given us a true mystery!

From the scale and the finish on the object, I'm guessing that we're seeing the surface of the actual metal, in which case the variation is due to the alloy structure. If it was paint, it would be smoother, unless it was a form of powder coating, which can hold a microtexture. The curvature in the last image implies some kind of clasp. However, I don't see any wear marks on it, so that idea is probably not true. Sparky - you've given us a true mystery!

Pgriz, are you an engineer? A chemical one perhaps?

Todays' hint: This item is designed to make noise.

A door knocker??? I've got one of those, but in bronze, and the texture of the surface isn't quite like yours.

Pgriz, are you an engineer? A chemical one perhaps?

No, but in my current business, paying attention to detail is important. It can be the difference between diagnosing a problem (correctly), or trying to fix something that isn't there. I own a contracting company, and I'm the guy people come to when stuff just doesn't seem to work. But thank you for thinking I know more than I actually do. :lol:

A cow bell or a door bell!

Is this elusive thing a part of a mountaineering harness?

some kind of buzzer on an actuator of sorts?

or something that you blow into and gets covered. I would say a flute, but its not that. It looks like what ever it is a part of, is hollow and probably circular?
It looks like what ever it is, gets touched or used often, that would explain the wear around the hole...

Last edited:
The clapper/ringer thing inside a bell?

Most reactions

Back