When did YOU know you were ready...

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...to do wedding photography professionally? Was there really any defining moment where you thought "I can do this" or did someone just ask you can you decided you had enough skill? I personally don't think that I could manage being the head photographer at a wedding. I'd much rather just be second shooter and not risk being sued.....

On a side note, when did you decide to go into photography professionally? I am not a professional, but I do charge people in my area and whatnot because the quality of photography is VERY low where I live...very...low. It's kind of like the low rent government housing of photography. There are only 2 decent photographers in my area, and they do mostly commercial work as far as I know, so I just take photos as a supplementary form of cash because that's about my only marketable skill. Well, that and computer stuff. But when you get rid of viruses on computers the client is never happy because you obviously moved their folder of Little Billy's 5th birthday, so I don't do that often.

But anyways...when did YOU decide to get into the biz professionally, and when did YOU decide to conquer wedding photography?

I had been using a camera since the mid 60''s (polaroids, instamatics, etc).. first SLR was a K1000.. had two Minolta's after that, X-370 and X-700 (was really disappointed in the 700). I was working at a local camera store (early 80's).. and the Olympus rep came in.... and started showing me the OM-4 they had just released. I was sold... and with a HUGE discount, picked one up.. with three or four lenses, and a T45 flash. I was also working in a buddy's lab part time, doing mostly the color printing... I was good at it.

One day I got a call from some guy in New York.... he had contracted with the "big" local pro shoot the local semi-pro baseball team .. and apparently the MF images that the "pro" sent him were unusable. He told me that he needed some shots done fast.. and that someone had recommended me (I never did find out who recommended me). I told him I only had 35mm.. and he said they could work with that, and offered me a fairly large chunk of money! So I went and shot the team (for baseball cards). They were really happy with the images.. and there I was.. INSTANT PRO (instant with only seven years or so of SLR experience.. and maybe eighteen years total experience). I started taking it more seriously then... and actually set up a studio. It was fun, and I loved it! But between too much work, and some personal issues.. I got fried and eventually shut it down! Didn't touch a camera for years after that..

If you charge people in your area to do photography for them, you can get sued. But the bigger worry is:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-shop-talk/262313-i-think-im-trouble-please-help.html

If you don't have a legal/registered business, and the city/town/county finds out you are operating an illegal/unregistered business, you would likely be subject to fines and/or penalties.

If you don't collect and forward applicable state sales taxes to the state you are in, and the state finds out you are operating a business, will likely be subject to fines and/or penalties.

http://youarenotaphotographer.com/fauxtography-is-a-crime/

I had been using a camera since the mid 60''s (polaroids, instamatics, etc).. first SLR was a K1000.. had two Minolta's after that, X-370 and X-700 (was really disappointed in the 700). I was working at a local camera store (early 80's).. and the Olympus rep came in.... and started showing me the OM-4 they had just released. I was sold... and with a HUGE discount, picked one up.. with three or four lenses, and a T45 flash. I was also working in a buddy's lab part time, doing mostly the color printing... I was good at it.

One day I got a call from some guy in New York.... he had contracted with the "big" local pro shoot the local semi-pro baseball team .. and apparently the MF images that the "pro" sent him were unusable. He told me that he needed some shots done fast.. and that someone had recommended me (I never did find out who recommended me). I told him I only had 35mm.. and he said they could work with that, and offered me a fairly large chunk of money! So I went and shot the team (for baseball cards). They were really happy with the images.. and there I was.. INSTANT PRO (instant with only seven years or so of SLR experience.. and maybe eighteen years total experience). I started taking it more seriously then... and actually set up a studio. It was fun, and I loved it! But between too much work, and some personal issues.. I got fried and eventually shut it down! Didn't touch a camera for years after that..
I wasn't born yet in the 60's......just sayin

I wasn't born yet in the 60's......just sayin

That's OK! I'll be very gentle! :)
SnoopyDancing.gif

If you charge people in your area to do photography for them, you can get sued. But the bigger worry is:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-shop-talk/262313-i-think-im-trouble-please-help.html

If you don't have a legal/registered business, and the city/town/county finds out you are operating an illegal/unregistered business, you would likely be subject to fines and/or penalties.

If you don't collect and forward applicable state sales taxes to the state you are in, and the state finds out you are operating a business, will likely be subject to fines and/or penalties.

Fauxtography is a Crime | You Are Not a Photographer

Well...I know that this post has NO RELEVANCE to my original post, but I'll bite anyways.

I have a business license, and a tax ID blah blah blah blah blah.

I am a full time student.
I am a dependent.

I don't have to file an income tax for up to $5800.

And considering that the place where I order everything for my "clients" (they're acquaintances and friends) IS based IN Texas, I am not tax exempt and sales tax is already added to whatever I buy.

And I keep up with receipts, w/e.

I'm pretty sure I'm safe from the government. It's the people who I am taking pictures for who I'm more worried about.

And I once again ask; why is this relevant? It's like asking someone on a topic about their top ten favorite movies if they bought all of their movies legally. Who cares?

Why is it that every topic you enter you scrutinize business practices. Like it will make any difference if that's not even what the OP is looking for. lol

Last edited:
I do that because a lot of other people read these threads. Thank you for noticing that I consistantly advocate using best business practices.

Plus you stated:
and not risk being sued.....
which did indeed make my comments relevent to your OP.

Over the years I have seen many people financially ruined because they tried to fly under the radar, and got caught.

You said you were not a professional photographer
I am not a professional, but I do charge people
though for most people, the fact you charge does make you a professional photographer.

Most reactions

Back