When Disaster Hits

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went with more of a dramatic processing on this as I thought it matched the photo. Building located in Old Town San Diego. After all these years and it was burnt down.

It was fenced in and I had to raise my hand holding my camera above the fence to take these 5 shots.

burnt building by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very cool. The processing fits the image perfectly. Do you know whereabouts in Old Town that building is? I know that area reasonably well, but I didn't know of a building which had burned.

And that's pretty damn well done for a hand-held five-shot image shot with the camera held over a fence...

Bynx brings a good point (to each his own however, can't win them all). Maybe we would like to see a non processed exposure?

I however do like the photo. Very well done and defiantly not over cooked. give the fact you had to hold the camera above a fence your composition is limited, so I think you did an excellent job there. Overall I enjoy this shot quit a bit.

You are using your processing to push any feelings across instead of letting the photos scene speak for itself.

Before my heavy processing

burnt2 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Very cool. The processing fits the image perfectly. Do you know whereabouts in Old Town that building is? I know that area reasonably well, but I didn't know of a building which had burned.

And that's pretty damn well done for a hand-held five-shot image shot with the camera held over a fence...

I believe its next to Toby's candle shop.

tobys old town by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Bynx brings a good point (to each his own however, can't win them all). Maybe we would like to see a non processed exposure?

I don't understand why the OP should show that. He's posted what he believes is an image that conveys a certain mood. We're free to accept that it does or does not convey that mood. In this context, what the unprocessed image looks like is actually pretty meaningless. If the OP were asking for processing help, then posting the original image would be more apppropriate. He hasn't done that, though...

Vipgraphx, I definitely prefer the processed image.

As for where it is, I know that shop. I'll have to get down there sometime and poke my nose around a bit...

Yeah I have been going nearly every year since I was a kid. We enjoy walking around shopping and eating at the old town cafe, This year when we went it was just sad to see this.

To some it may mean nothing but to a person like me who enjoyed this part of San Diego there is emotion attached to it thus why I decided to process the way I did.

THe single tonemapped version is just a picture and to some may prefer it that way but to me I really wanted to bring out some emotion I felt and it was the emotion was dark. I feel I
that I achieved what I was going for and posted the other picture just to show. IF you look at the two one can decide what has more feeling and its their choice and their opinion. What ever works or doesn't.

Its all good!

I don't understand why the OP should show that. He's posted what he believes is an image that conveys a certain mood. We're free to accept that it does or does not convey that mood. In this context, what the unprocessed image looks like is actually pretty meaningless. If the OP were asking for processing help, then posting the original image would be more apppropriate. He hasn't done that, though...

In no way was I demanding the original, and yes, I agree with you as well, the artist shows what he/she thinks is best. Indeed we are free to accept or not. I love the processed image, I think its a job well done.

I simply wanted to see the original just to see it and to see what kind of processing it went though to get to the final result. This is a community after all of sharing ideas and collaboration and learning from each other right?

And after seeing the original, which is nice as well, the processed image shows more emotion behind it and processing is a huge part of photography now a days and like I said it's a job well done. Seeing the original doesn't change my opinion on the final result, just simply wanted to see it, he could have declined.

I've said it before and it seems to be relevant here.. Photography is an art (with a little science mixed in). ALL art IS subjective. Some people will like it, some will hate it. At the end of the day it isn't a bunch of random strangers on the internet who decide if your art is "good" or "bad". Even though many like to think their opinion is fact. If you are satisfied with the work you do, that is the truly important part.

Personally I like the first photo you posted. The processing lends itself nicely to the feel you were trying to convey. Tone mapping, HDR in general, photoshop, those are all tools. And if you have the skill to use the tools, and the knowledge to know when enough is enough, then why not cook it up a bit.

Zombiemann has hit the nail smack right on the head for me !!!! Both shots are great but I like the first one to set the mood I thought that what photography was all about

Most reactions

New Topics

Back