When to give up

Sounds to me like the original photographer may have quit at the last minute due to the brides demands. I can understand maybe not having one piece of equipment for a specialized shot but don't understand not having the equipment to do a basic wedding if you are a professional and have done weddings in the past.

As for what to do about the pictures, I don't think I can give much better advice than what's already been given. If they refuse to sit and discuss terms I would give them a few photos and explain that is all you have since you were a guest at the wedding and not the photographer since you are not being paid to do it/there isn't a contract with terms.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback. No matter what part of this is on me for even accepting the task without a full agreement in place before hand. I also appreciate some of the ideas you all have as far as how to handle it. I will make another attempt to sit down with the bride and groom before I just give them what I have and be done with it. I had a guest over my shoulder with his phone 90% of the time so if they are desperate enough they can contact him for whatever he was doing.

The_Traveler said:
You got managed here.
You have no obligation because there is no contract.
I would give them nothing until they sit down and agree to terms.
The terms don't have to be onerous for either side but you have to have some control otherwise this will go on and on.

I disagree with only one word here. He wrote "managed". I submit that the right word is "jobbed".

You've got a tiger by the tail here: LET GO OF THE TAIL.

Trying dodging the B&G as much as they are trying to dodge you :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every paid photographer has to learn some things the hard way.
We've all paid (in one way or another) to learn the craft of photography.
In this circumstance, you paid with your time. That time taught you a very valuable lesson.

You should comfort yourself with the thought that you won't make this mistake twice.

You won't hear and good (or bad) advice from me, but I'm very curious to head how this all ends up! Good luck with it all.

I don't think there is anything you can do salvage the situation. As this is a friend of a friend, all your mutual contacts will hear her side of the story. That may be where the greatest damage will be afflicted.

What is your primary concern ... money (getting paid) or your reputation? The bride seems very unreasonable so your considerations are of little value to her.

Remember that you are holding all the cards ... all of them. You have the images, you don't have a contract and there hasn't been any full or partial payments. You need to play this from a position of strength. Dude, have some fun, no matter card she may play, you can trump her because you have the images.

If your concerns are for your reputation only, then start and continue all discussions in email form. That way you can post the emails to your mutual contacts.

If your concerns are only about money ... you have what she wants. You make everything your way or the highway, period. What's she's gonna do? You can demand any price ... what is she gonna do? I'd have a chat with the photog that blew her off just to see why they didn't show up. I bet they walked away from the gig and she lied to you from the very beginning in order get you there.

When all discussions are concluded ... no matter what the outcome of those discussions, I would give them everything as a wedding gift and its done, fini.

Last edited:
As Hardy would say to Laurel, this is a fine mess... Taking on the responsibility of photographing their wedding seems to have put you in the position of at least being obligated to provide them with photos (not necessarily original Raw images, not necessarily every single photo you took) but to at least do what you agreed to do - photograph their wedding and provide photos.

Maybe ask why she wants all the pictures, what is it that she's particularly looking for? See if you have a photo of whatever/whoever, give her a copy if possible or tell her if you don't have a picture of whosiewhatsis (and let her contact the guy with the cellphone! lol jk don't suggest that! if she wants something specific she can ask around and see if her friends have a picture of whatever).

I'd follow thru on this the best you can, send an email being clear on what you'll provide and that's it. If need be point out that did the best you could under the circumstances, that it being the night before you didn't have a list of specific photos she wanted, no contract with any terms re: payment, etc. You could mention that photographers usually have arrangements with fellow photographers to cover for them and her photographer could have done that instead of just not showing up. And he didn't have the equipment needed for something specific she wanted?? that's not your responsibility, the photographer could have rented equipment. Not to give excuses but it might help to give some explanation.

If the friendship is with the groom and you want to stay friends it might be best to give them photos, be done with it, chalk it up to lesson learned and move on.

Most reactions

Back