When you have lots of shots....

I check off each shot I liked if I liked it within the first second I looked at it. Of those, I get rid of all duplicates or close duplicates. Using more than one becomes boring. Be brutal. They're only pictures; not your children. Your success rate will improve. Viewers won;t know or care about the ones that didn't make it. All they'll see are your best shots.

When I did real estate photography and the client wanted 25 keepers, at first I was taking 250 photos while I was at the house.

Fast forward 2 years and I was taking 26 photos, just in case I messed up one!

Now before I even press the little clicky button, I think...do I REALLY want to edit this photo?!?

So....I've been away for a few days for wee break with the Mrs who was very tolerant of me snapping away. 4 days away and a cheeky birding session today has seen me with the best part of three CF cards full of images I now need to process! Not having done much photography in the last two years I hadn't realised quite how out of practise I was. Soon got back into it though.

What's your strategy for editing big shoots after you've culled the stuff that's instantly not up to par?

I photograph High School rodeo. One rodeo on Friday and another on Saturday.

Two days at the Delta Rodeo resulted in 2,150 photos that I processed.

Lightroom:

Establish an upload preset
Design a preset for each venue and lighting condition.
For similar images use the Auto Sync feature in the Develop Panel.
Use standard aspect ratios and Auto Sync to crop.

I photograph High School rodeo. One rodeo on Friday and another on Saturday.

Two days at the Delta Rodeo resulted in 2,150 photos that I processed.

Lightroom:

LR is the best way I have found to rapidly screen, cull, catalog and post process. Nothing comes as close in my experience.

I'm a compulsive hoarder so have real difficulty deleting shots forever. Instead I have a file in LR for each year titled "Rejects". So all the doubtful shots go in there. It means I can be brutal without suffering permanent loss. Once in a blue moon I trawl through it if I remember there was something interesting I rejected.

Lightroom:

^^^^What he said ^^^^

The Lightroom presets are great. They save me sooooo much time. I have a profile for every gym/field/rink I shoot at. Even if I shoot there once I will create a profile just in case I end up going back. And many time when I go some place new one of my existing presets will work for it with minor tweaks. So once done importing I will do a quick cull and then it is minor tweaks/crop and upload. Because of the presets I can edit and upload a 400 to 500 shot (100 keepers) football game in an hour. When I started I was taking 800 to 1000 a game, and still ending up with 100 keepers lol

But if shooting the game for the paper I'll scan and give a 5 star rating to 2 dozen and edit those fast and get them FTP'd off before doing the rest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back