Where do I fit?

thedingo0099

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm struggling.
I thought I just took pictures.
Apparently not. It seems I must be a photographer. Not only that, I need to talk 'shop' to endless lengths, especially in relation to the gear I use, the lenses I have, the editing program that is the best, my preference for B&W, my propensity to shoot people, animals, buildings, small things, big things, pretty stuff, events, non-events .... the list goes on. I even noticed someone asking if they should take one camera or another to their desired travel destination. Really? Can't people pack their own bags?

And just when I'm feeling very uncomfortable because my pictures don't seem to fit any category I can identify with, there's the possibility that I will be judged, indeed criticised and by some unknown and unknowing sod who is probably just as lame as I am at taking photos.

I've got no idea where this will end up; trouble, probably, but I'm here.
Bare with me.
I'm doing my best.

Don't sweat it. As long as you enjoy what you are doing that truly is all that counts.

But .. when and if you decide that you want to improve you're going to find that the easiest way to go about that is to:

1) Understand the process; how your camera works, how a photograph is actually taken, and what you can do to affect the outcome as opposed to just blindly pointing and shooting. Knowing the limitations of a camera and lens combination, when to use one lens as opposed to another, when to use a specific filter, when to use a specific exposure mode, etc. are all important yet not critical. Any camera on the market today has far more built-in capabilities that any camera that Ansel Adams ever used in his career.

2) Ask those who are more experienced to judge your photographs and tell you what you did wrong and how they can be improved. Keep in mind that the answers will be the personal impressions of the people reviewing the photographs. You are still free to act on or ignore the advice given and do things the way you choose to. Just graciously thank them for their time and move on.

If you choose not to go that route, so be it. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are in the same category so you are far from being alone. Just enjoy what you do. There are no rules or requirements or anything else other than having fun with your camera.

It's the little things that count. As Eggleston so bluntly put it: "I photograph life as it is".
Here's a strange thing. I like all of my photos. Mind you, I don't hold them up against anyone else's, nor do I make a judgement on the products of others.
I don't have too many rules either. Point, shoot, see what comes out.
In another place, I've been called a Street Photographer. Seems a bit strange to identify a person with a place. Surely it's about the photograph. One must make up their own mind as to the meaning of the image. Then, it is the task of the observer to be sensitive, well-meaning and QUIET! As someone, who's name fails me right now, once said: "The art of conversation is to ask a question, then listen. In this case, observe.

_DSC0630 copy.jpg

Don't sweat it. As long as you enjoy what you are doing that truly is all that counts.

But .. when and if you decide that you want to improve you're going to find that the easiest way to go about that is to:

1) Understand the process; how your camera works, how a photograph is actually taken, and what you can do to affect the outcome as opposed to just blindly pointing and shooting. Knowing the limitations of a camera and lens combination, when to use one lens as opposed to another, when to use a specific filter, when to use a specific exposure mode, etc. are all important yet not critical. Any camera on the market today has far more built-in capabilities that any camera that Ansel Adams ever used in his career.

2) Ask those who are more experienced to judge your photographs and tell you what you did wrong and how they can be improved. Keep in mind that the answers will be the personal impressions of the people reviewing the photographs. You are still free to act on or ignore the advice given and do things the way you choose to. Just graciously thank them for their time and move on.

If you choose not to go that route, so be it. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are in the same category so you are far from being alone. Just enjoy what you do. There are no rules or requirements or anything else other than having fun with your camera.

I have little interest in improving, Scott, only finding new subject matter. My enjoyment comes from being there, from taking notice, from recording what I see, from recalling each time I look at the image. I share only to demonstrate what possibilities there are and how strange, mysterious and wonderful life is. Mm! Sometimes, not so wonderful. Sometimes its hard work just getting through the day in one piece. But I can always take a picture.

That's not strange at all. In fact in my opinion liking what you shoot is the primary concern for a photograph. I had a mentor when I started out who once told me, "If others dislike your photographs that's unfortunate, but if YOU dislike your photographs you're doing it wrong."

We all tend to evolve over time. Our interests change, our abilities change, how we see things changes. I don't know how long you have been interested in photography but I suspect that if you compare what you shoot today with what you shot previously you'll see that evolution.

Your comments are one of the reasons I dislike giving a photograph a title. By titling a shot the photographer is passing along his vision of the photograph as opposed to allowing the viewer to make up his own mind. That's not necessarily a bad thing but just something that has always annoyed me.

_DSC2456 copy.jpg

I can only imagine what brought these mattresses to this wet, dark well under a staircase. Yet I find it fascinating as a subject. Is this what humans do in their spare time?

I have little interest in improving, Scott, only finding new subject matter. My enjoyment comes from being there, from taking notice, from recording what I see, from recalling each time I look at the image. I share only to demonstrate what possibilities there are and how strange, mysterious and wonderful life is. Mm! Sometimes, not so wonderful. Sometimes its hard work just getting through the day in one piece. But I can always take a picture.
Again, nothing wrong with that in my opinion. The only people for whom improving is a requirement are those who pursue a career in photography. They will either have to constantly improve and adapt or get left behind. Those of us who shoot simply for enjoyment have the freedom to pace what we do without having to worry about how good we are in comparison to the next guy.

There are things in my life that I do concern myself with improving. Photography isn't one of them, I'm perfectly content with where I'm at. I shoot what I like when I like and for decades I've kept it that way.

That's not strange at all. In fact in my opinion liking what you shoot is the primary concern for a photograph. I had a mentor when I started out who once told me, "If others dislike your photographs that's unfortunate, but if YOU dislike your photographs you're doing it wrong."

We all tend to evolve over time. Our interests change, our abilities change, how we see things changes. I don't know how long you have been interested in photography but I suspect that if you compare what you shoot today with what you shot previously you'll see that evolution.

Your comments are one of the reasons I dislike giving a photograph a title. By titling a shot the photographer is passing along his vision of the photograph as opposed to allowing the viewer to make up his own mind. That's not necessarily a bad thing but just something that has always annoyed me.

So true, Craig, so true. That's my opinion as well but you knew that.
I think its about 60 years since I got interested, but only the doctor is counting; and my wife. Curiously, though, I've had an interest in what others seem to overlook. Maybe it's my curiosity for an explanation.

I don't even formulate a title in my head. It's too distracting. I understand the science behind visual perception (its my thing. I must have been good at it çause I got paid for it)

_DSF6901 copy.jpg

And just when I'm feeling very uncomfortable because my pictures don't seem to fit any category I can identify with, there's the possibility that I will be judged, indeed criticised and by some unknown and unknowing sod who is probably just as lame as I am at taking photos.
You rang?

You call my name and here I am!

You write, and so shall I write.

Why do your photographs need to fit a category? Eventually they might, but meanwhile, misfitting is not a worthy cause for angst.

Three good photos, BTW.

I'm struggling.
Apparently not. It seems I must be ...
[List of the many ways in which others pursue photography: *snip*]
Why all the angst over how others enjoy photography? You carry on doing what you like. I and others will go about doing what we like. Let each of us leave others to do as they wish without judgement. Everybody's happy :)

Angst? What angst?
Paranoia more likely, with a touch of self-loathing for good measure.
My brain doesn't compute when it comes to understanding the ways of the modern photographer.
I have a camera. Why would I need 2?
Compete? What for? Who wants to know they come last.
Ask for a critique? From whom? My wife will do. She likes everything I do. Well, almost?
Become a professional? I have a profession and it pays well (did).

Then why am I here? I hear you ask.
I'm under advisement. Doctors orders. Seems like I don't have any friends.
Go meet people, he says.
They smell funny, I tell him.
Meet them on line he tells me.
Really? Does that work? I ask.
No, he says, but it's your last option. Try not to be a pain in the arse and don't get scammed.

So, I'm just here for the conversation.
Still, I can look on in amazement at what people have to say. It's good knowing I'm not the only crazy one.
Now, where's my medication?

Like any hobby, I make photographs for pleasure and don't really care what others may think about them. Yes, I often do events and give the participants prints and CDs of the photos. It's still 'hobby time' to me, from shooting to post processing to the final products.

What one person considers 'art', another may think it's trash. We've all seen paintings or sculptures we think belong in the dump. But it's high quality work in someones' mind. Don't ever let someone else tell you 'how' or 'what' to photograph. It's YOUR hobby/work, not theirs!

If you don't care what others think, or trying to impress us, why are you posting your photos? Maybe you should be honest with who you are first before criticizing others. When you point your finger at someone else, there are three fingers aimed backwards.

I'm struggling.
Apparently not. It seems I must be a photographer. Not only that, I need to talk 'shop' to endless lengths, especially in relation to the gear I use, the lenses I have, the editing program that is the best, my preference for B&W, my propensity to shoot people, animals, buildings, small things, big things, pretty stuff, events, non-events .... the list goes on. I even noticed someone asking if they should take one camera or another to their desired travel destination.
OK, but which eye do you use with the viewfinder? :biglaugh:

Don't sweat it, When you see one of those threads, sit back and have a good laugh.

Most reactions

Back