Where is the Canon XTI (400D) in its lifespan? Is it going to be replaced soon?

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I am almost certain that the Canon EOS XTI (400D) is the camera I'm going to get, probably tomorrow because its going on sale with two lenses and 4GB memory card. But the only reason I'm a little hesitant is because I don't want to get it and find out in a couple of months a newer model will replace it. Does anybody know where it is in its lifespan, is Canon going to be releasing a newer model soon?

Thanks.

well, the XTI has been out a little less than a year, so I don't think it will be anytime too soon. Probably 2008 before there's a replacement for it, but then again, I'm not much of a Canon guy.

I think waiting for the next technology is an endless game. What if you do wait? what if a new camera comes out after that? and then what about the next model? this technology moves way too fast to just try and wait for the next thing to come out pick a model you like and buy it no regrets.

I think waiting for the next technology is an endless game. What if you do wait? what if a new camera comes out after that? and then what about the next model? this technology moves way too fast to just try and wait for the next thing to come out pick a model you like and buy it no regrets.

Well said. As far as I know, the camera doesn't have a "lifespan". Not unless you own it and use it, then obviously parts will get worn and degraded and then it has a lifespan. Sitting on a shelf it has no lifespan except that dictated by Canon in their product line-up. If you buy the current Rebel now it won't stop working the moment the next Rebel comes along, or the one after that. People are still happily shooting with digital SLRs from four years ago (of course some of us are also using cameras from fifty years ago but that's another matter). If something else comes along later on that offers a major improvement, then you can get it and part-exchange or keep the current one as a backup. In the meantime, you can only buy what's currently available, and if you feel the need for a dSLR and don't currently have one, then buy it.

well, since it is out less than a year, a replacement is not due yet.

and as said, the time wasted waiting is time you cannot use it for photography ;)

furthermore, these days, a new model usually is not a giant leap ahead, but means some improvement in details.

well, since it is out less than a year, a replacement is not due yet.

and as said, the time wasted waiting is time you cannot use it for photography ;)

furthermore, these days, a new model usually is not a giant leap ahead, but means some improvement in details.

well said.

My only question is, where's the sale? :lol:

yes, please share. where is this sale at?

Hey guys. The sale is at Futureshop, from 5PM EST to Tomorrow at 12PM EST. It's not a huge sale, 10% off photo products. Everything on the Futureshop website is pretty much on sale though. The XTI I'm planning on getting comes with EF-S 18-55 Lens and EF 75-300 III USM Lens, and ATP ProMax 4GB 150X Compact Flash card for $1170. I can't imagine getting a much better deal.

You guys are right about not waiting, the next replacement for the XTI probably won't be a massive improvement so I'll probably just get another one in a couple of years. ;)javascript:SetUpTab('0665000FS10084254', 'EN', '1', '22553', '1');

look for an upgrade to the 30D before a new rebel series. The XTi is new and has many features from the 30D. If they were to upgrade the XTi any more it would probably be better than the 30D save for the body.

Ok guys, I just bought the XTi through the online sale. I think I should be set up nicely with a 300mm lens, which I'm going to get a doubler for which will be awesome. Now I'll just need to get a fish eye lens for some awesome shots. But I've got to wait at least a week and a half because of ground shipping and its not in stock right now, but I can't wait :lol:.

Realistically - what could they change on the camera that wouldn't allow you to get the shots you're getting today?

You'll be fine.

Ok guys, I just bought the XTi through the online sale. I think I should be set up nicely with a 300mm lens, which I'm going to get a doubler for which will be awesome. Now I'll just need to get a fish eye lens for some awesome shots. But I've got to wait at least a week and a half because of ground shipping and its not in stock right now, but I can't wait :lol:.

congrats :)

a 300mm lens with a 2x teleconverter is quite a long lens, even more so on an APS-c sensor. you will get the 35mm equivalent of a 960mm lens. with that focal length camera shake will be a serious issue, most likely you need to work with a very sturdy tripod then and a cable release. IS would be an advantage but not the final answer here.

also, to get acceptable image quality with a 2x TC, you need a very good and fast 300mm lens to start with.

congrats :)

a 300mm lens with a 2x teleconverter is quite a long lens, even more so on an APS-c sensor. you will get the 35mm equivalent of a 960mm lens. with that focal length camera shake will be a serious issue, most likely you need to work with a very sturdy tripod then and a cable release. IS would be an advantage but not the final answer here.

also, to get acceptable image quality with a 2x TC, you need a very good and fast 300mm lens to start with.

Thanks Alex. I bought a tripod last week that I've been using a lot even on regular set up shots.

Instead of using a release cable, using a timer would be fine? What is IS? Any idea if the EF 75-300 III USM Lens is a fast lens?

I'm a complete noob, I've only been taking pictures of a couple of weeks and don't know much about lenses, but I can't stop taking pictures, I'm hooked :D.

Thanks Alex. I bought a tripod last week that I've been using a lot even on regular set up shots.

Instead of using a release cable, using a timer would be fine? What is IS? Any idea if the EF 75-300 III USM Lens is a fast lens?

I'm a complete noob, I've only been taking pictures of a couple of weeks and don't know much about lenses, but I can't stop taking pictures, I'm hooked :D.

Welcome to a new photo-addiction ;) :)

I am sorry to say, but as a total noob handling anything beyond 300mm is very hard .. even 300 will probably be. At least I myself, and I am into photography for quite a while, still consider 300mm not easy to handle properly.

[SIZE=-1]The EF [/SIZE]75-300 III USM Lens is an f/[SIZE=-1]4-5,6 .. that means on the long end (300mm) the maximum aperture is f/5.6 which is not fast at all. If you use a teleconverter this number becomes worse, resulting in a setup which needs long exposure times ("slow shutter speeds") or very bright scenes[/SIZE]. You would be very limited then.

From my experience using a 1.4xTC is fine with an f/4 lens, but for a 2xTC I would strongly recommend a 300mm f/2.8 lens.

The 75-300mm might be an OK-ish lens, but combined with a TC I doubt it will live up to your hopes regarding image quality (I never used this lens myself though). Image quality always goes a bit downhill with a TC, so if you do not start with a very excellent lens from the start, results might be rather disappointing when a TC is used.

With IS I meant image stabilisation, which comes with some Canon lenses and is nice to reduce the effects of camera shake for long focal lengths.

A timer will do the job in principle, just it is a bit more complicated to get good shots of moving objects. a timer would be of not much use in sports photography, wildlife will be complicated too.

For anything beyond 300mm you need a sturdy tripod, which adsorbs vibrations well, and you need a good and sturdy tripod head.

Most reactions

Back