What's new

Where there is smoke......

Digibill

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Location
manchester,NH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first attempt at smoke photography,what do you think?

$smoke-2.webp$smoke-3.webp$smoke-6.webp
 
Not bad. The first two look horribly over sharpened with a bit too much saturation on the colors. Overall a good start, with the third being my favorite.

Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Not bad. The first two look horribly over sharpened with a bit too much saturation on the colors. Overall a good start, with the third being my favorite.

Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think your right on the over sharpening,they were so noisy sooc that I think I went over board .As for the over saturation thats kind of the point for me in this kind of picture.
 
Agreed the last one definitely is the best.
Just has some clarity and some starkness to it the others dont have.
Maybe with the purple one, crop it to the lower left corner? Seams to be a little sharper there.
 
I really like that last one! It's ambiguous and not immediately recognized as smoke, which makes it more interesting.
 
I like the last one. It's much simpler and not as busy.

What are you using to light up the smoke?
If you're using a strobe light (flash) you should be able to use a lower ISO setting so image noise is minimized.
Also, nailing the exposure is critical for minimizing image noise.

You can crop to isolate smaller, interesting sections, and you can change the orientation of the frame so the smoke isn't rising out of the bottom of the frame.
 
Last edited:
Sorry I thought this thread was dead.I have some more shots of smoke that I think I nailed the focus better that I will post tomorrow when I'm on my computer.
Also thanks for the comments and critique .


Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
 
Incense smoke works well. And smells nice too!

Make sure you use deep enough DoF and pre-focus on something solid.
 
I like the last one. It's much simpler and not as busy.

What are you using to light up the smoke?
If you're using a strobe light (flash) you should be able to use a lower ISO setting so image noise is minimized.
Also, nailing the exposure is critical for minimizing image noise.

You can crop to isolate smaller, interesting sections, and you can change the orientation of the frame so the smoke isn't rising out of the bottom of the frame.
I'm using an yongnuo 560iii.I learned later that if you let the room get to smokey it comes across as noisey.They all were shot at ISO 200,also more ambient light allows you to focus on the smoke better.I also scrimmed or blocked the flash (or whatever you call it)from hitting the black foam core.here's a couple from a different session.$smoke-10.webp$smoke-9.webp$smoke-8.webp$smoke-7.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom