Where to get used camera lenses.

TarterTurtle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I recently got a Pentax K1000 (Thanks RowdyRay) and I was looking for a used zoom lens, I heard that when you buy lenses online there might be fungus in it, and I don't want to buy a lens to just to find out that it is full of fungus. So my question is are there any places online where I will know that I am getting a good lens, and also that are pretty cheap (less than about 30 dollars)? Thanks
Nathan

Yea but do I have to worry about fungus?

I've purchased over a dozen used lenses, and in my experience, most sellers are truthful about the condition of the lens. Most of my purchases have been through e-bay, and the sellers don't want to be on e-bay's bad side.

Read the description carefully, and check out the seller's rating as well as any note regarding returns. If you get a lens that doesn't meet the seller's description, then send it back. Personally, I have never purchased a lens with fungus because I prefer to purchase clean lenses.

IMO, if the ad says "no fungus", then you should expect that it will have no fungus.

What fungus does: Fungus tends to decrease contrast and affect color transmission, but the effects will be greater with more fungus.

How to deal with fungus: If you do purchase a lens with a tiny amount of fungus, you probably will just leave it in there, because to send a lens to a repair shop will likely cost more than you paid. Test the lens, and if the images look o.k., then just kill the fungus and leave it in there. UV light should kill it. A small portable UV lamp for a day or two should do it.

You can trust the descriptions from Adorama, b&h and cameta camera, in my experience. Haven’t used mpb to buy anything. My one experience with keh they had a canon mount mislabeled as a Nikon but they did refund me without hassle.

mid buying online from an individual and not a reseller, I’d be more worried about getting scammed than I would be about fungus. Use PayPal via invoice and don’t send anything as “friends” to avoid the fees and you should be ok.

Last edited:
I tend to go to KEH last, as I find them overpriced.

..also that are pretty cheap (less than about 30 dollars)?
May I suggest that you first decide on what lens you want, rather than setting some arbitrary budget limit? The reason is; if you're locked into a certain budget, you might end up buying only junk, with little hope of ever getting a good lens.

My practice is to first decide on what lens I want, then start looking for the best deal I can find. If I can't find one to fit my money, I just keep on saving up until I have the money.

I've sometimes bought 'Bargain/Bgn' condition from KEH, and the rating is for cosmetic condition/appearance; usually it's not exactly pretty and is nicked and dinged but works perfectly fine. KEH seems to have all their film equipment now on their outlet which is their ebay store. They still have (last I saw) pictures and descriptions (their main site is digital and stock photos).

Shop Goodwill, but there you're on your own and no guarantee on condition or if it works/is clean (and camera/lens descriptions are usually limited because the store doesn't usually know much about photography). No returns/refunds I don't think.

I've bought used from Adorama, maybe B&H, I know I've gotten film from them. I've also bought from Pittsburgh Camera Exchange.

UsedPhotoPro that Ron mentioned is affiliated with Roberts Camera in Indianapolis, who's been a sponsor with SportsShooter and has been around for years and is reputable.

mbp is in the UK and I think there seems to be a short amount of time for returns (because it gets returned to a warehouse/distribution center in the US who they apparently contract with to ship/handle returns, etc.).

There should be photos taken showing each end of the lens so you can see if the glass looks OK or if you see what almost looks like tiny coral (best I can describe it) because the fungus could have been growing at some point. It could be very light and hard to see; I'd avoid it.

Or ask around, I might have a K mount that I'm not using, but I'd have to go hunt. Make sure the lens is K mount; some earlier Pentax were screw mount (the Spotmatics I think).

Yea, I am looking for a 70-210 or something like that, I could find them for relatively cheap on eBay, but I don't know if they are good or not.

Yea, I am looking for a 70-210 or something like that, I could find them for relatively cheap on eBay, but I don't know if they are good or not.

the Vivitar Series1 70-210 was good. The Kiron was also good. Almost any 70-210 or 70 to 205 from the film era would be at least decent. Given that most of them are now 40 years old I would think that you could buy one for 30 to $40 oh, and that it would be decent at worst and excellent at best

Most of the replies above cover any advice I would say. I would just add that if you see one on eBay and it doesn't mention fungus or is vague and you are unsure then send them a message specifically asking them if it has any. As has been said, most people (especially when specifically asked) are honest about such things. If you don't like their response don't buy it. There should be plenty of options for you out there so just keep looking for the right one.

Good heavens! There are many different makes and models of the ubiquitous 70-210mm zoom. Some are decent, some are very good, and some are not worth the postage cost.

If that is a lens you are interested in, then my suggestion is to start reading some reviews about as many as you have time and patience for. When you get some idea which ones are better than others, start looking at the average selling price. Don't jump on the first one you see, but do some methodological shopping. Make a list of prices for each model that you are interested in, and the average price for each.

I suspect that you will find a wide range of prices, even within the same brand/model. Approach this project dispassionately, and with careful analysis to find the one you want.

Good luck!

Reactions: TWX

Most reactions

Back