Where To Sell Vintage Camera Equipment

splais

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Folks,

I need some help. In my 70's and out in the middle of nowhere with nobody to leave this too. I have some vintage photography equipment I would like to sell before it is lost to history. The two big pieces are a Bell & Howell 16mm Filmo projector and camera that date from early 30's I believe. I need some help finding a place to sell them. I'd like to make a package deal. Any help suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Steve IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1528.JPG IMG_1529.JPG

You can always use Ebay to sell them; hits a large number of people and whilst there are fees it is at least simple and well used and so long as you do things correctly pretty safe to use.

Some retailers do second hand sales; however film-gear tends to not have much value and thus most stores won't touch it unless its very high grade (even then it tends to need something like the words Leica printed on it to make them take it up).

You could also sell it down a local market auction; chances are it will make the least amount of money but it will be quick and easy (no postage).

Consignment shop will be about your best bet. Or you can brave Craigslist. The problem is most of that is pretty much shelf art now. That is what some of the old cameras I have are. The old box 120s are not worth a whole lot. Even the projector, and 16mm will not fetch much.

As an antique camera collector, I've got tons of this kind of stuff acquired over the years that I use as decoration or props. Most of it still works, and I still picked them up for a few bucks each. Honestly, for the price you'd get, it's hardly worth the effort on ebay, craigslist, consignment shops or anywhere else.

If you really want to sell them, I'd say have a yard / garage sale, put them on a table with a sign or placard that says, "make an offer". Take anything somebody's willing to pay, and be done with it.

I'd be inclined to go with e-bay, clean the cases and photograph them carefully in good light. Don't bother with the package deal unless you just want to be rid of them.
Try to give them reasonably good descriptions, include model names, lenses etc & be honest about any faults. The collectors out there might be interested. It's worth searching e-bay for the (sold) items you've got to see just what the market might stretch too. There may be some who are expecting half of what they paid for their camera when it was new (not realistic) it's only the bids placed or items sold hat give an guide.
Even so I doubt you'll get much. I've seen a Bakelite Brownie similar to the one you've got for sale locally for ~£10. It was still there a month later. I've also seen domestic lighting features made out of pieces similar to your projector.:eek-73:

Most reactions

Back