which 2nd body to purchase? Canon

biertje

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market for a second body. This will only really be used when I go for overseas wildlife photography trips, usually twice a year. I sometimes find that I miss some shots, because I have to switch lenses when the wildlife gets up close. I'd describe myself as a keen amateur who is looking to move on from P mode
upload_2019-8-1_9-50-20.gif
I currently have a canon 760D coupled with a 70-300 Tamron Di VC USD and 15-85mm lenses. I'm currently looking to upgrade to the Sigma 150-600mm C lens. I think I've just about decided to go for an APS-C model again, for comparability reasons. Happy to be talked out of it though, especially with the new lens option.

I'm looking to spend around £300 (preferably less) as most of the time it will be sitting in the cupboard. Currently the options out there seem to be:
600,650 or 700 for around £120-190
760D Between £200 and £300 depending on condition. Not sure if well used is worth the risk.
60D for around £200
Or any other options people have recommended.
I'd most likely be pairing the 15-85 with the second body. Unless the 60D is better than the 760D.

looking on mpb and LCE currently.

Apologies for the long post, hopefully I have covered everything.

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-1_9-50-10.gif
    upload_2019-8-1_9-50-10.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 166
  • upload_2019-8-1_9-50-13.gif
    upload_2019-8-1_9-50-13.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 179
I like the 60d but when I went for a second body I went for the one where the batts and mem card were the same
2 bodies great, two different sets of batts no so good. As you have the 760d that may be the way to go
Reasons.
Batts same
Mem same.
Ease of use. You will have muscle memory from using your current camera, you say that this is so that you don’t miss shots, well you don’t want to be faffing with controls you want to pitch up and shoot slight as it is it makes a difference esp at night. I have missed shots using a different camera because of this

Thanks. That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately I had a further look at the 760D in my range and it seems to be in terrible condition especially regarding the LCD screen which only displays upside down amongst other issues.

So I guess it's a choice of a newer XXXD vs an older XXD . Is the 60D getting a bit too long in the tooth now compared to the new processors and features in the 700? Or is it worth going for as its layout is more similar to the 760D?

Or saving more money to put to wards a new lens and go for the 600 or 550?

No probs just a note the 7d is crop sensor. I thought it was ff like the 6d more fool me. Well it’s given you thought

My travel DSLR is the T7i ( not certain what that in Europe).

You might find one used for 300£, not sure.

The 60D someone suggested is a good choice but much larger if that is a factor. I have a 50D and prefer it's ergonomics but travel with the T7i.

Rather than as second camera, I would take this opportunity as a chance to upgrade your primary camera.
Get a T7i/800D as your new primary camera, and use your 760D/T6 as your 2nd/backup camera.
The control on the T7 and T6 are similar, so there is minimal relearning and muscle memory confusion when shifting between cameras.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses all. I think I'm leaning towards the 60D. Unfortunately I really want to get the Sigma 150-600 lens for my next trip, so can't stretch to a new body either :(

You don't need your exact same body to share batteries with the new one, just one compatible with the same battery. The lp-e17 battery is compatible with the SL2, SL3, T6s, T6i, T7i, and 77D.

I'd recommend Get the sigma and a cheaper similar body style to what you have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back