Which camera (and objective) to buy?

Egomonster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to buy a really good camera and objective, but I'm pretty much a beginner in photographing so I don't know what to buy. My criteria is:

- objective: I don't know the millimeters, but I want to have zoom onbjective with a fish eye lens and a long distance lens (I want to be able to take a close picture of someone's face from say 50 meters (sorry I'm not sure about yards, but I think it's more or less the same...)

- it has to have an automatic focus zoom system, and a manual option (the manual option meaning completely manual! I'm now using Minolta 500, which has a manual option, but for some reason it still zooms automatically and changes the shutter time even when the manual option is on... :( )

- Price: preferably less than 3000 $

I don't have other criteria since I don't know much about cameras, but please let me know if I should pay attention to other features too.

Thanks in advance for any tips! :)

Oh, and one of my cirteria is that I want to have it witha really big aperture! (1 point something)

A beginner in photography with a $3000 budget? Geeze. I recommend you get a decent digital camera like an Olympus C-zoom to see if you are really interested.

Then, if you decide photography is right for you, you should shoot for a more professional system.

yes if zoom is important to you, get a DSLR, it gives a 1.6x zoom versus SLR lenses. So a 500mm lens would give 10x zoom on an slr and 16x zoom on a DSLR

I want to invest on an expensive camera, because I'm not satisfied with my current one (Minolta 500). I'm an artist, and I now just want to expand it to photographing, and I want to participate in a photo competition, and will have a photo exhibition with other photo amateurs soon, so it's very important for me to have a camera that gives me the technical possibilities to fully express myself. It's all about choices... I can't afford buying a car, but I rather spend 3000 $ on a camera than on a car. I've actually already done the dark room stuff years ago, and regularly take photos (mostly with AF though), so I'm actually a false beginner... but I've forgotten a lot of things, like all the things about the manual camera settings, so I'm kind of a beginner when it comes to those... Therefor poster #4, I didn't understand anything about your post! I've never had a 500 mm camera, so I'm having hard time figuring out how much it magnifies... would it be enough to get a close picture out of someones face from 50 yards for example?

Thanks for the tips!

Egomonster; What Sash is saying, is that due to the fact that the light sensing cell in a digital SLR is smaller than a 35mm negative, if you put the same lens on both cameras, it would give you a "closer-up" picture on the digital camera, than it would on the 35mm film camera.
The problem is, you said you also wanted a "fisheye" lens, and that same thing that makes the digital "zoom better" also means you can't get a very "short" lens. So if you want both, stick with film.
Now that said, I'm not as up-to-date on the digital side as I should be, so if there are now affordable digitals with 24 by 36mm sensors, and or affordable really wide angle lenses, then no offense meant, chime in and correct me! :D

Have Fun,
Tom

Most reactions

Back