TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I narrowed down my choices to the following
olympus e pl1 or pl2
sony nex5n
canon t2i

basically i want the camera to be able to do long exposures on a tripod, be able to attach it to my telescope, have a remote or wired shutter release for bulb mode, and have decent battery life to do up to 30 minute exposure

i was leaning to the sony nex for its compactness, however the choice of lenses is dissapointing, they only have one good lens which is the carl zeiss. Canon dslr would be the obvious choice for all around photography, however it is large and bulkier than I wanted, not sure about how olympus is, i couldn't even find a remote shutter relase for it on their website

what do you guys think? i still use a film camera so i dont have experience using a digital camera (except for point and shoots)

I'd suggest getting an adapter that can plug into your wall outlet for astrophotograpy instead of using batteries. Keeping the shutter open for long periods drain batteries pretty fast...

I'd suggest getting an adapter that can plug into your wall outlet for astrophotograpy instead of using batteries. Keeping the shutter open for long periods drain batteries pretty fast...

i was thinking the same, i guess i have to make sure my camera will have available a power adaptor to power it,
do you know if i could use a power pack since i do not always have a wall socket handy

Last edited:
May be slightly out of your budget, but I'd get an old Canon 5D Mk1. A full-frame sensor is really what you want for astrophotography.

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

I would suggest buying an inexpensive film SLR. Digital doesn't do well with long exposures, the sensor heats up and generates excess noise. Film will give you much cleaner shots.

Most reactions

Back