Which camera for Portraiture in Studio??

Sony is a fine choice. It's a good lower cost alternative to Nikon or Canon. It doesn't offer the same performance as Nikon or Canon, but in a studio environment the weaknesses of the Sony product line aren't really an issue.

They have plenty of good glass available to them. Ironically, while their bodies are lower cost than the big two, their upper end lenses are some of the more expensive. It kind of defeats the purpose of going with a lower cost body only to turn around and buy expensive glass. If you're not scared to spend money, buy Nikon or Canon. If you plan on using older used lenses or low cost 3rd party lenses, then Sony makes sense if money is your concern.

But all things being equal, if we're looking at capabilities, I would go with Nikon first, Canon second and Sony third.

Nikon: More expensive than Canon. They have amazing lenses and bodies. The best of both worlds. The current market leader in terms of top end performance.

Canon: Lower cost than Nikon. Outstanding lens selection, rivals that of Nikkor. The bodies aren't as feature rich as Nikon and Canon seems to trail Nikon in high ISO performance - albeit not by far. Canon is playing catch up to Nikon's killer D300, D700 and D3 releases. It seems Canon is on the uptick with the 7D and 1D4.

Sony: Lower cost than both Canon and Nikon. Great image quality as long as you keep it below ISO 800. Great selection of lenses, but they can get pricey. They have in body image stabilization which while not as good as lens based IS (IMHO, especially on telephoto lenses) it has the benefit of giving you IS no matter what lens you mount.

The A700 is due for replacement very soon--perhaps in as little as five weeks. The PMA show is February 21-23, 2010...the A700's replacement, with a better sensor is possibly going to be announced before February is out.

"I'm just sayin'..." as some Americans say.

The exact same can be said for the D700. ;)

Yes, the implication, unstated as implications are--is to wait a little while before buying equipment for studio portraiture that will be done "next year".
In response to an earlier comment that this is turning into some type of brand argument--no, not really. It's more of a philosophical disagreement I think between those who are familiar with full frame shooting and crop-sensor shooting. As far as choices in FF d-slr bodies goes, there really are not that many choices currently on the market--three from Nikon, two from Sony,two from Canon, plus the recently discontinued Canon EOS 5D.

Studio portraiture is a pretty specific niche, with one overriding factor in each and every studio that is inescapable: camera to subject distance. How far away the camera is located from the subject determines a number of aspects about the final image. I spent a few thousand words on this subject about a year ago. Derrel's Photography Blog: How The DX Format Impacts People Photography

Bottom line: DX bodies, APS-C bodies, whatever you wish to call them--they put an impression on the photographs that is different from FF and different from 120 rollfilm and its typical lens range. The camera and lens combination used plays a big part in how the image will be rendered. Studio portraiture is not like bird photography or sports photography where one is limited by being too distant from the subject matter. The exact,opposite is in fact the problem in most studios.

Hi,
I would love to go FF, if only so there is nothing to "upgrade" to in the future.

Ive seen a few Canon 5d MK1's about for £700-900. Only problem is that they all are obviously second hand and have no warranty.

Plus ive heard they are bad for shutterboxes and can go at any time. The last thing i want to do is spend that kind of money on a second hand body to be left lumbered with a paperweight.

What portrait lens (zoom preferably) would be good for about £250-£350 if i did buy a new ff body?

Matt

If you're really only buying for a particular type of photography, portraits, I would turn the decision on its head ... work out the best pair of portrait lenses you can get for between half and two-thirds of your budget and then get the body they require.

Just my 2 céntimos

Hi,

Well ive gone and done it now. Ive got a Sony A700, Carl Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens, Sony 50mm f1.4 and with the money i have saved i have bought a Lastolite Hilite 6'x7' with train, with some backdrops to complement my lighting setup.

I arent that commited financially into the sony aps-c system that way and when the time comes (once im quite good at it haha) i will have no quarms about selling it and going full frame then to go with the other equipment i have got.

Matt

Well Matt, all I can say is I wish you the best and don't shy away from this forum when you have questions about lighting and such. Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks and why would i shy away from here? , I like it here.

Ive actually got myself enrolled on a 2 day lighting course next weekend so i should be clued up enough to work them.

I will show you some of my shots from the day if you like.

Matt

I own both Nikon and Canon d-slr bodies and lenses--and I understand fully what you mean about the "feel" of Canon cameras. They are different from Nikon bodies and lenses. I can appreciate personal preference; I have often times used my 5D, even though it is a less-superior camera *body* than a Nikon I own,simply because the 5D and a full-frame body is a better solution than a crop-body Nikon. The body and the sensor are different things...

For studio and people work, small-format APS-C or 4/3 bodies like the Olympus with its 2x FOV factor and almost infinite depth of field (lol) are really not in the same category as FF bodies. Montana's suggestion of a first-generation Canon 5D is actually a very good suggestion--the 5D has an excellent sensor in it, and at close distances on people, high MP count really is of very little advantage, even on large prints. The 5D has superb detail,right down to the pore and eyelash level when shot under studio lighting with any decent Canon lens. You cannot utilize more than 12-14MP indoors at distances of 7 to 25 feet...no matter how large the print.

Hand-held versus tripod-mounted studio portraiture--the two are very different situations. I have done a lot of both. Tripod-mounted is excellent for many reasons--less fatigue, easier interaction with subjects, better for small kids, consistent framing,etc. I can understand the positive feeling for Sony equipment, but there are a number of underlying technical advantages for a FF camera--Nikon,Canon,or Sony. Sony bodies are priced reasonably, but many of their lenses are somewhat more expensive than Canon or Nikon lenses of roughly comparable range. In studio portraiture, the camera "format" used plays a huge part in the process. The camera's format impacts how you shoot virtually every single frame.

Derrel,

Im really grateful for the help here.

I would truly love to go full frame but with a budget of £2150 and the a900,5dmkII and d700 all roughly £1600-£1700 , that leaves me with only £550 maximum for a decent zoom lens. Ive always been led to believe that for portraiture you should be working in the 85-135mm range on a FF camera. Where on either of them cameras could i get a decent, sharp lens for £550? as i cant see how

Matt

Classic 5D + 85mmF1.2 and you will still have change for a round of drinks
I use mine for sports when it gets a bit too dark for my 1Dmk2's
ISO 3200 300mmF2.8L
491249521_Wac5w-M.jpg

Well..........

Ive changed my mind and told my mate im not going to buy his stuff.

Ive just bought a camera and a lens off ebay and im very happy.

Ive bought a Canon 5d Mk1 and a Canon 24-105mm F4 lens!

Really lookintg forward to it being delivered.

I know the 5dmkII felt horrid in my hand but im sure if this is the same ill get used to it.

Matt

Well..........

I know the 5dmkII felt horrid in my hand but im sure if this is the same ill get used to it.

Matt

You will get used to it, i hate using Nikons because i don't like how they feel

Well..........

Matt

You will get used to it, i hate using Nikons because i don't like how they feel

Yeah im sure i will.

Only thing im worried about a bit is that its second hand. It does say on the listing that its excellent condition with just a small bit of paint missiung on the hotshoe (all of em say that though) and its done 5k clicks approx.

I just hope i dont buy it do a few thousand shots and the the shutter box go (apparantly quite common)

Matt

Most reactions

New Topics

Back