Which camera for product photgraphy?

coldshot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm starting an online shop selling clothing and i'm looking for a decent camera for taking good pictures.

I'm guessing since its online, pictures do sell your products hence good color saturation is important.

I will be using continuous lights and a mannequin for my shoots in my make shift studio at home.

I got a few cameras in mind, LX3, G9, G10, E1. They come with numerous manual adjustments and a horse shoe.

I'm still pretty new to such cameras. They only one i owe is a canon ixus 80.

Appreciate if i can get some recommendations for a camera that suits this job.

Thanks

...and a horse shoe.

HAHA I think you mean a 'hot' shoe. For the flash.

Anyway according to what you want to do, you can pretty much use any camera beleive it or not. The key is in the lighting. Having an SLR type of camera definately makes things a bit easier though.

If you're looking to keep things small, go with the LX3 or the G9. They both have full manual control and "HOT" shoe's so that you can mount an extra flash or get off camera lighting working.

I assume you're thinking of the Canon G10? Or the Panasonic G10 (Micro 4/3s)?

like 786 said...i think for product shots, it will be more about lighting than the camera itself.

...and a horse shoe.

HAHA I think you mean a 'hot' shoe. For the flash.

Anyway according to what you want to do, you can pretty much use any camera beleive it or not. The key is in the lighting. Having an SLR type of camera definately makes things a bit easier though.

If you're looking to keep things small, go with the LX3 or the G9. They both have full manual control and "HOT" shoe's so that you can mount an extra flash or get off camera lighting working.

I assume you're thinking of the Canon G10? Or the Panasonic G10 (Micro 4/3s)?

Haha...thanks for pointing out the hot shoe..what was i even thinking

The LX3 is something im seriously considering, though i'm trying to wait and see if the Lx5 would make a better long term purchase.

Was refering to the G10 actually

FWIW I shot continuous for a year before moving on to strobes.

I did learn a lot about lighting with them but in hindsight I would recommend starting with strobes if you can afford it. They are just so much more versatile.

Consider that I was shooting medium sized pieces of furniture and needed a lot of light, ended up with two heads with four 45w CF bulbs each and a homemade boom. Total cost ~ $500.

The kit you linked to is not going to stand up to professional use but should be fine for occasional shots of smaller items.

Cheers, Don

I've started on strobes straight from the get-go. Might be more of a learning curve but I can't complain with the photos I'm getting with the setups. Strobes are more expensive however yes, versatility is great. Especially when you're onsite.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back