Which camera to buy for large oil murals?

That will do for now with inside work. Just don't bump it. :aiwebs_016:

When you take pictures of your work, use the self timer on the camera. That way you hitting the shutter will not shake the camera.

It gets a bit top heavy huh...Ill try to remember that...

I've actually had it since High School...the One good thing public education was good for haha

When you take pictures of your work, use the self timer on the camera. That way you hitting the shutter will not shake the camera.

I've actually had it since High School...the One good thing public education was good for haha

Actually the D3400 is very light. And either of the lenses as well. But it's a very light tripod too. But a light camera and light tripod, a bump doesn't mean falling over disaster, but with it's total weight light. A bump will move it and or show on the picture as shake if done during the actually picture taking.

Actually the D3400 is very light. And either of the lenses as well. But it's a very light tripod too. But a light camera and light tripod, a bump doesn't mean falling over disaster, but with it's total weight light. A bump will move it and or show on the picture as shake if done during the actually picture taking.

Right.. by the way I'm looking at the softboxes & monolights you mentioned.

Two of each or should one be enough?

Amazon.com : Godox 47"/120cm Umbrella Octagon Softbox Reflector with Carrying Bag for Portrait or Product Photography +SUPON USB LED free gift (120cm) : Electronics

Not sure which monolight I should go for though.

Amazon.com : NEEWER DS300 Studio Strobe Photo Flash Light with Bowens Style Mount - 300W Photography Monolight : Photographic Monolights : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : Neewer 300W 5600K Bowens Mount Photo Studio Strobe Flash Light Monolight with Lamp Head for Studio, Location and Portrait Photography (SK300) : Camera & Photo

Ugh looks like they don't come with tripods... would you recommend a lighting kit?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Your going to want square ones. And with your bigger murals probably 2 will be needed.

Yes, will need light stands. They are less expensive than tripods.

Amazon.com : Godox 47"/120cm Umbrella Octagon Softbox Reflector with Carrying Bag for Portrait or Product Photography +SUPON USB LED free gift (120cm) : Electronics

Amazon.com : NEEWER DS300 Studio Strobe Photo Flash Light with Bowens Style Mount - 300W Photography Monolight : Photographic Monolights : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : Neewer 300W 5600K Bowens Mount Photo Studio Strobe Flash Light Monolight with Lamp Head for Studio, Location and Portrait Photography (SK300) : Camera & Photo

Ugh looks like they don't come with tripods... would you recommend a lighting kit?

I woulkd pay the little bit extra and buy the Neewer SK300 monolight because it offers 20 power increments, more than the other unit offers. Finer power control increments would be nice for some things...the lower-cost unit has 8 power levels.

I woulkd pay the little bit extra and buy the Neewer SK300 monolight because it offers 20 power increments, more than the other unit offers. Finer power control increments would be nice for some things...the lower-cost unit has 8 power levels.

Now that is some very useful info I didn't have and now do :)

Thank you.

The continuous lights are a little more to deal with. They can work if you have enough room. They don't have a lot of power adjustments. So, instead they need to be moved in and out. I don't have any continuous lights so can' give much advice on them. Pretty sure the buttons on the back just turn bulbs off and on. Not sure if the soft boxes will give even illumination with bulbs turned off.

But with it being Amazon. If they don't work, you can return them within their return period.

I received the camera, monotight and softboxes today and just found out the Neweer SK300 don't have the option to stay on like the other monolights I was looking at.

It was my bad for not seeing it was a strobe flash.

Last edited:
I received the camera, monotight and softboxes today and just found out the Neweer SK300 don't have the option to stay on like the other monolights I was looking at.

Being Amazon you can send them back. But in the long run they will probably serve you better if they last.

Being Amazon you can send them back. But in the long run they will probably serve you better if they last.

Had a question...I was just opening up the NEF(RAW) + JPEG Fine on photoshop and just noticed something with one of the lenses I'm using. The JPEG Fine comes out without distortion (meaning the image appears flat on the monitor and all the RAW files have a significant bend from the lens I'm assuming....is it a setting I dont have right on the camera?

I'm currently using the 18-55mm lens.

The camera is applying some correction when it saves the file in jpeg. With raw you use the post processing to correct.

The camera is applying some correction when it saves the file in jpeg. With raw you use the post processing to correct.

Thank you but I'm not familiar with how to post process images. Could you elaborate please?

Post processing is when you work on the photos that come out of the camera. JPEG pictures are basically processed in the camera according to its programming. Yes, you can make changes to JPEGs. But the camera has already done quite a bit for what it thinks (programmed) is right.

Raw files are exactly just like raw meat. You have done nothing too it yet. The camera gives you the raw slab. You use photo processing program to prepare and finish it. Depending on how you process / cook it. Is how it comes out when your done.

I suggest you do a search on google or even youtube on raw photography. Whole chapters in books are written on it. But a quick youtube will give you a good start on the advantages of using RAW pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back