Which Camera to Take?

breinicke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The Canon D60 vs. the Canon G10

My wife and I are taking a trip to Hawaii and are intending on hiking what is considered one of the most beautiful trails in the world. Lots of photo ops and is probably a once in a lifetime trip to these locations!
I am debating which camera would be better in everyone's opinion?

Lugging along a bunch of SLR gear is not much of a concern, but is a factor to weigh in.

The D60
Pros:
DoF control
Better exposure control
Better range of focal length through a few lenses
It's my tried and true camera that I know very well.

Cons:
Much heavier and bulkier
Only 6MP

G10:
Pros:
14.7MP
Much smaller and compact
More battery life

Cons:
Lacking more exposure control
Virtually no DoF control

Similarities:
Both have about the same level of Noise at higher ISO's

While a possibility, I'd rather do either/or and not take both cameras along.

In your situation, I'd go with the camera I know best. A vacation is no time to learn a new camera. Nothing is wrong with 6MP. Where in Hawaii are you headed? If you really consider it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, consider buying a 50D for the trip. The $1K is a small percentage, I'd reckon, of what you're spending on the trip.

We are hiking Kalalau trail on Kauai.
I know the G10 pretty well... well enough to use it... but with any point and shoot, you lose a lot of that control and SLR goodness.
I'm in adequate shape and am not too concerned about lugging in 12lbs of photo gear... but I would also welcome a lighter load if it won't compromise the image results too much.

It's amazing how much control you can get with a good P&S. I took my 30D to Alaska and I bought my kids a Panasonic Lumix Z28. They got some great images.

.... and is probably a once in a lifetime trip to these locations!
I am debating which camera would be better in everyone's opinion?...

I would highly recommend both...
No way I would make a trip like that with only 1 camera.

Chuck

.... and is probably a once in a lifetime trip to these locations!
I am debating which camera would be better in everyone's opinion?...

I would highly recommend both...
No way I would make a trip like that with only 1 camera.

Chuck

+1. I took my Rebel and my Olympus Stylus 850SW to the Dominican Republic about two months ago. Second day there, a faulty seal lets water into the PAS. Great. Shot with the Rebel the rest of the time and at least had some good shots to take home.

Personally...I have to agree on taking both.

Then again, personally, I'd be afraid to damage my camera so I'd probably only take the lesser one. That's just me though. If you have balls just take both :)

I would take everything I could get my hands on!!! if you know you are hiking one day alot then just take the smaller of the two but when you are not traveling as much take the other!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back