Which camera would you rather have?

I'm torn. I'm getting ready to throw down a LOT of money for one camera or another, and I want some secondary feedback to see if there's anything I'm not factoring in.

I either want a Canon Rebel XS, or a Sony Alpha a-300. I don't know which. I tried both of them out, and they seem very similar with the shutter button, control wheel, and everything in the same place. Image quality seemed very similar as well. The image stabilization is in the body of the Sony and in the lens of the Canon, so I don't know which is better.

Anyway, I'm not sure which route to go. I'd like to see if any of you could offer any other input.
Well, in the long run neither is 'better'. They are just somewhat different.

I always just prefered the shape of a Nikon DSLR. They look more manly. The Canons and the Sonys just look to prissy for my taste.

And be sure to put a grip on whichever one you choose so it looks really Pro.

The Canons and the Sonys just look to prissy for my taste.

As a Canon shooter: Ouch.

And you do realize that much of the time pros, especially when travelling, want to look like anything but a professional. I know that Jack Reznicki once had to leave his camera in the coat-check at the Louvre because he told security "Yeah, I'm a pro."

Best bet is to hand hold any of the contenders rather than relying on specs and other peoples opinions alone. Navigate through the menus. They are all virtually the same beast but you should also consider "down the road" and what affect that may play on available accessories and finances.

I always just prefered the shape of a Nikon DSLR. They look more manly. The Canons and the Sonys just look to prissy for my taste.
I knew there was a reason I have enjoyed your comments to this point. :lol:

I'm torn. I'm getting ready to throw down a LOT of money for one camera or another

I either want a Canon Rebel XS, or a Sony Alpha a-300
Neither of those cost a lot of money. :sexywink: This camera is approaching a lot of money.:confused:

Besides the serious money is in lenses: like this and this and this used lens. :gah:

I would suggest a MF camera.

I have been looking pretty hard at the Mamyia RB67 system. The RZ67 would be nice, but outside the price range for the moment.

Keep in mind, you'll probably be keeping this camera and the associated system around for a LONG time. Which means, *eventually*, even if not now or even in the near future, you'll be able to buy some nice high-quality glass.

Which means Canon. Hands down. L glass is just supreme, and that comes from a Nikon fan.

If pink triangles on the grip and fake chrome bling on the shutter release and neck strap mounts is "manly", I'll keep my Canons. :)

^^ Hmm, you may want to calibrate your monitor. I'm looking at three different Nikon bodies and none of them have pink triangles on the grip. not ruby red, but certainly not pink. Not that there's anything wrong with that!!! The D80 does have a chrome shutter release, but the D300 & D700 are black and I have no idea what you mean by neck strap mounts. None of my bodies have an OEM neckstrap but rather a TPF strap, a SmugMug strap and a Black Rapid strap.

Oh.... I bet you were trying to be funny....... sorry it didn't work out for you.

You're probably better off with the Canon.

^^ Hmm, you may want to calibrate your monitor. I'm looking at three different Nikon bodies and none of them have pink triangles on the grip. not ruby red, but certainly not pink. Not that there's anything wrong with that!!! The D80 does have a chrome shutter release, but the D300 & D700 are black and I have no idea what you mean by neck strap mounts. None of my bodies have an OEM neckstrap but rather a TPF strap, a SmugMug strap and a Black Rapid strap.

Oh.... I bet you were trying to be funny....... sorry it didn't work out for you.

You're probably better off with the Canon.
Aww, did you get your little feelers hurt? Someone makes a retarded Canon comment, and you cheer. When I make an equally retarded Nikon comment you get your panties in a bunch. So mature, let me tell ya.

It's funny how seriously some of you guys take the nonsensical brand wars BS.

Sorry, but I'm not sporting a pair of antenna.

Sarcasm and/or irony employed, but without malice on my part. Having a bit of fun. There's no harm intended.

Your retort may be implicit of your own feelings on this subject.

I applaud anyone that shoots a picture for better or for worse.

:biglaugh:

I guess without knowing how I'll really use either camera, I wasn't able to tell which one I'd like more than the other by feel. They both were roughly the same size, had the control wheel in the same place, and felt fairly close to each other as far as weight. Also I think they both had the same screen size and whatnot.

Thanks for all of the notes to consider.

I'm torn. I'm getting ready to throw down a LOT of money for one camera or another

I either want a Canon Rebel XS, or a Sony Alpha a-300
Neither of those cost a lot of money. :sexywink: This camera is approaching a lot of money.:confused:

Besides the serious money is in lenses: like this and this and this used lens. :gah:

wow thats really expensive
clear.gif

That last one was probably contracted by the CIA, and Canon just decided to sell it on the open market for kicks. Actually, I'll bet the "previous owner" was the CIA. :p

Actually, that's the second used one that B&H has had for sale. No doubt the Federal government owns a couple. I have heard they have made just under 20 of the lenses, but they are mostly in private hands.

Most reactions

Back