Which Camera?

jonathon94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMO, the Canon wins in this side by side as follows:

Live View, video capability, higher ISO, higher resolution, longer battery life, and CMOS vs CCD.

With that said, probably best to go to a local store and pick up and play with each.

I feel like a moron I guess I should have googled it. :p Does anyone on this site have any first-hand experience with these cameras?

I had a Canon Rebel and it worked fine. They always say it is the photographer and not the camera that makes the image and I think that is true.

Also, you might consider buying used so you can get more bang for your buck.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with you. Buying used, there is no promise that it will be in good shape. If a new camera breaks within a year of buying it at least I can send it back to get it repaired. If I buy used I have to trust that what I'm spending $300+ on will be fully functional and let something break internally then I have a very expensive paperweight until I can pay to get it repaired or replaced.

Due to Financial Situations, my purchase of a DSLR will be delayed until about the second week of february (taxes) I was given a budget between $400-$500. I have seemed to find two Cameras that fit that budget, the Nikon D3000 (Nikon D3000 Black 10 2MP DSLR Camera Kit ? Walmart.com) and the Canon EOS Rebel T3 (Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital Camera and 18-55mm IS II 5157B002 B&H)

Besides the Megapixels, what are some major differences between these two?

Only you can make that choice what is best for you, every dslr camera have different features than the other just go out to the shops and look at both.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with you. Buying used, there is no promise that it will be in good shape. If a new camera breaks within a year of buying it at least I can send it back to get it repaired. If I buy used I have to trust that what I'm spending $300+ on will be fully functional and let something break internally then I have a very expensive paperweight until I can pay to get it repaired or replaced.

If you buy used from a reputable dealer like B&H, Adorama, or KEH, you shouldn't have an issue. Granted, there isn't a warranty, but they inspect all of the gear and test it before it's graded and put on their site.

You could also look at refurbished cameras as well, which are usually refurbished by Canon or Nikon themselves.

But yes, I'd stay away from the D3000 due to the fact that it has a CCD sensor, as well as the fact that it lacks an internal focus motor.

If you buy used from a reputable dealer like B&H, Adorama, or KEH, you shouldn't have an issue. Granted, there isn't a warranty, but they inspect all of the gear and test it before it's graded and put on their site.

You could also look at refurbished cameras as well, which are usually refurbished by Canon or Nikon themselves.

But yes, I'd stay away from the D3000 due to the fact that it has a CCD sensor, as well as the fact that it lacks an internal focus motor.

I've read two articles over ccd vs cmos. One was a bit too technical for me. I didn't honestly feel like reading everything just to get straight answers. Another site I read stated that CCD was better

CCD sensors, as mentioned above, create high-quality, low-noise images. CMOS sensors, traditionally, are more susceptible to noise.

This was found at HowStuffWorks "What are CCD or CMOS image sensors in a digital camera?"

So if this is true why is CMOS being suggested over CCD?

jonathon94 said:

Buy used from Adorama.... They tell you what condition it is in and are very accurate! They also have a good return policy and fantastic customer service.
Buying used definitely gets you more bang for your buck! Most hobbyists take pretty good care of their equipment and upgrade often. I would not suggest buying off eBay, etc... I have had pretty bad luck there. B&H photo also has a used department but I have no personal experience with it.

Nikon d3000 is definitely an entry level camera. I have played with one. It's very compact and light weight. The limitation on lenses was terrible. To me that's a deal breaker....
I am a Nikon girl but I teach photography classes and most of my students shoot canon. Canon and Nikon are both good brands... Their products are usually comparable. Nikon usually costs a little more but their build is usually a little more sturdy. Buttons and controls seem to be "clicky" and not as nicely sealed on the lower end canons.

I'm a Nikon user but, in this case I'd go with the Canon.

I'd go Canon too, between those choices.

But since finances are an issue, I think you should consider factory refurbished. They DO have warranties, but maybe just not full term.

When I sold cameras for a living (film days) my elder coworker used to say that the advantage of a Nikon camera body is that they accept Nikon glass. But if this lesser Nikon can only take a less limited range of Nikon glass, I'd take a pass. That was a bad decision on Nikon's part to hamstring their base camera like that. Up to a certain point not too long ago, ANY Nikon SLR camera could take ANY Nikon SLR lens. Canon had gone to their then new EOS lensmount bodies, which was totally incompatible with their older FD lenses, and the Nikon people were very smug about it. Now it seems they have jumped on the bandwagon.

I think you should also consider Pentax, yes, even used.

I guess I should realize that since you're relatively new to this, you won't necessarily feel comfortable buying used for a while. When I bought my first SLR, I passed up some nice used cameras in favor of a new Pentax K1000, which was less full featured. It wasn't a BAD decision, but it could have saved me that first upgrade. ;)

At any rate, you have a while to mull it over, I guess. Unless.... If it is a tax refund, and you know you're getting it and how much, why not just charge the purchase, and pay the bill with the refund? :sexywink: You'd still have the chance to pay it off before any interest accrues.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back