Which circular polarizer for Tokina 11-16mm?

w0M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello.

newbie here. I have a Canon t3i, and among other things; I just picked up an 11-16mm Tokina. The lens is great; but after viewing some research; determined that I needed a circular polarizer if I want to make the sky pop in out door scenes. After ~hour researching; I am just as confused now as I was when i started over what I should get.

77mm/CP for 11mm on my crop... My budget is flexible but i don't want to waste money; all my uv filters are Hoya if it matters.. I have no idea how to tell what will vignet and what won't on this lens.. (For note; I was about to buy a B & W for ~140us before I read a review stating it introduced @wider than 13mm...)

-Chris

OP I was told to avoid CP filters on lenses below 24mm, can't remember why.

Because the field of veiw of a lens wider than 24mm is wider than the field that CP can effectively cover.

OP: Dont forget the Tokina 11-16 is a 24mm equivalent at it's most telephoto setting.

Mark

Which has nothing to do with the OP's need for a CP or the issues that it will cause on that wide of a lens. Focal length is focal length, and there will be a loss of the polarization towards the outer area of the lens due to the extreme field of view and the inability of a polarizer to work effectively over that entire field of view.

Regardless of brand you need thin, that front element will touch a normal filter.

If anyone is curious, the Nikon 24mm 1.4 also requires a thin filter.

B+W is an excellent choice

Most reactions

New Topics

Back