Which do YOU think is more important?

oz-surferbabe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Am in a dilemma, but believe in my heart I know the answer... Am currently finishing 1st year at uni and no doubt going to take a year out to experience my main passion....photography! :D

So....which do you believe is more important in the real world... a degree in photography......or the hands on experience??

xx

I think the answer is the same as with many careers out there.... BOTH.

Perhaps another option is to degree in a related study but obtain on hands experience in photography.

Power is nothing without control
Knowledge is useless without application

You need both

Experience teaches you how to apply what you've learned...

If you can master your equipment, then I think a degree is worthless. This has always been an opinion that better photographers are people with a passion and who learn by imitating or apprenticing for people who's photos they admire, and not those who learn photography in a class.

I am sure there are plenty of exceptions to the rule, but I personally find a lot of photos I have seen of people who study photography at the schools here look "technically" excellent, but lack art.

You need the education it opens doors that talent alone won't open. You need the hands on experience that shooting in a classroom or hobby inviornment won't really give you. So as it has been stated here you need both.

Now practically you can get by with the hands on and lots of time and effort. Most likely you won't wind up working for National Geographic (these days) just with hometown experience. Stay in school, the a degree in art if you cant find a school giving photo degrees. Hide out for a few years while you mature in the craft.

Then go out and find someone who will let you carry their bags.

Wish there was an easier way but its a struggle to get into big time photography without some kind of degress in a related field.

Not all that said.

My son in law started his own business after I pushed him out of the nest by retiring for real. He got a few breaks. self taught himself a ton of useless things (my opinion only) made a few good contacts and sold his soul to a bridal chapel kind of thing to be on their approved list. Now he is working three times as much as I ever did, but having less fun at it. So it can be done without the school, if you have someone who will mentor you and if you have the drive to learn on your own but:

YOU STILL HAVE TO LEARN ALL THE BS...

Why are they mutually exclusive? Who says education does not result in practical experience?

Because if you take the education and then use it to take photos, then you are guilty of hands-on experience. ;)

The thing is, is that there is more to (pro) photography than taking pictures. In fact there is more to any profession than just doing the work. All the different things have to come together and be harmonious at the same time and that takes (hands-on) practice.

mike

I have always believed in multiple careers with the education to back it up.

I have a classical degree in languages and literatures, a technical degree in film and television, and a teaching degree.

I have done everything from photojournalism and television production through to teaching French and computer animation, never been unemployed, made lots of money and had fun doing it.

What more could one ask for?

skieur

Think about everything you've ever read on photography. Weather ofr not you understand it. go into these forums sections and learn techniques from our many knowledgable members. Now think of a time when you said "hey that sounds neat, I'm going to try it!" was it what you wanted the first time? Or did it get better as you used it more. I know that I have read so much on here that would've taken me years of experimenting on my own to do. I still can't replicate half of th etechniques I've learned until I try umpteen times. The degree speeds your advancement, however the hands on is the ONLY thing initiating it.

If the degree program you're in is worth anything at all it will involve a huge amount of hands-on work. However, if you're smart you'll use the time at school to not only take advantage of the photography classes, but business, literature, and science. The business end is obvious, literature (and perhaps some communications/ public speaking) will give you a step up when you're trying to sell your work, and science will give you the background to be able to sort through the new technology and decide what can help you and what is a waste of time. I would say use the school time to make sure you're not _just_ a photographer. Then practice your passion daily.

If you plan on being a starving artist you whole life I would go for the degree in photography. If you plan on being successful and using photography as a career I would suggest hands on experience and a degree in business. :wink:

If you can master your equipment, then I think a degree is worthless. This has always been an opinion that better photographers are people with a passion and who learn by imitating or apprenticing for people who's photos they admire, and not those who learn photography in a class.

I am sure there are plenty of exceptions to the rule, but I personally find a lot of photos I have seen of people who study photography at the schools here look "technically" excellent, but lack art.

i'm gonna go ahead and agree with that, simply because i only have enough money for stupid online technical photo classes!
but if i were given the gift of art school/photo degree of some sort
I WOULD TAKE IT!!!!
plenty of time for experience LATER.
plus i'd rather know all i can as quickly as possible so i can hurry up to the experience part!
and you can definitely get PLENTY of experience while doing anything. photograph everything you see. there's your experience =)

he makes a good point. And also something to think about is, if you get a degree in photography, then what happens if right out of school you dont get a job in photography?? you have nothing to fall back on. But mabey think about majoring in something besides photography, and minoring in photography????

Most reactions

New Topics

Back