Which DSLR for a REAL beginner?

rojicha07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know, all of you must be tired of reading and answering to these questions about which entry level DSLR camera is better, but I would really appreciate your advice.

I have never owned a DSLR camera, but I am looking to buy my first one. I have only owned P&S cameras such as the Fuji HS10 and the Sony HX100V but I am looking for a camera with a much better image quality, that's why I am deciding to move to the DSRL world, despite I would have to say goodbye to the ultrazoom that some P&S cameras offer haha.

I have been looking around on the web for specs, reviews and many more of different beginners DRSL cameras, such as the Canon T2i/T3i and the Nikon D3200, but I am just not sure which would be the best for me.

I don't need very sophisticated features. My main purpose is to get a camera with a really good image quality, with good details even when I crop the pictures I take with it. Is there such a thing in the market nowadays? Hehe

The camera would be used mainly for landscape pictures, portraits and spotting (taking pictures of airplanes in airports)...

Which entry-level DSRL would you recommend me? My budget is in the range of $500, I hope is not very tight.

Please treat me like the most amateur/newbie person you have ever seen in these topics hehe, I only know the basics of DSRL photography.

Thank you very much in advance for any of you comments and recomendations.

Kind regards ;)

Hello,

I recently bought a d3200 and am really happy with it. I've been able to have a lot of fun with it and get some good photos so far.

For me the decision really came down to choosing between the d5100 and the d3200. Most folks around here suggest the d5100 over the d3200 and I believe their reasoning is sound so you may spend a little time looking at that model as well.

I don't know much about the Cannon stuff or I'd chime in. I have used Nikon for other products and was comfortable with them so that's why I didn't consider the Cannon cameras. I'm sure each is great.

A couple of things about the d3200 that I wish were different are that I wish I could do bracketing and I also would like a depth of field preview button.

Overall I really am very happy with the d3200, but I'm also very new at this. My thought so far is that I'll either keep with the d3200 or knowing myself I may end up with another camera at some point (possibly something like the d5200 or whatever is around like that when I'm ready). I doubt I'll ditch the d3200 though. I can already see times and reasons for having 2 cameras available. I may even end up going to a full frame sensor at some point, who knows.

Not sure any of that will help you, but that's where I'm at. I found a lot of good information here so keep looking around and asking questions and folks will probably help you out.

Last edited:
The best one that you can afford. That will eliminate the ever-present urge to get the next step up.

I'm serious. An advanced camera is no more difficult for a beginner to learn on than an advanced one, so get the one at the top of your list.

I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions...
I guess I'll get the one that has the best deal, they all seem great cameras after all...
Thanks again! :D

We've all been there and of course with hindsight we would have all bought the best we could afford, of course you want value for money and to buy something that is going to do what you need it to, my first DSLR was a 4/3rds Olympus, they dont get mentioned much on here thesedays and it wasn't decades ago, but it didn't matter, it performed well, and taught me all about DSLR's, I loved it and invested a fair amount of money on olympus lenses, I even did a friends wedding with it, but inevitably i wanted more and after a lot of deliberation i switched to Nikon, I never regretted buying Olympus despite investing around £1500 UK (about $2400 US) because i managed to sell most of the gear on Ebay for a reasonable return, so my point really is whatever you decide to buy you will enjoy it, and if you feel after you have mastered it that it has something missing then you can upgrade, there is always a good market for used DSLR's, you may even want to look at used ones as your first purchase.

rojicha07; $500 US is near the bottom for a DSLR kit, but if you can get the Nikon D3200, it will serve quite well. Usually they come with the 18 to 55mm zoom, but it sounds as if you may need a longer lens to capture airplanes on the tarmac.

My own first DSLR was the Nikon D5000, and it came with two zooms, a very small bag, and a cheap tripod. I won't quote the price because it was a couple of years ago and the model is no longer available.

If I were going to do this again, I might have seen a way to stretch my budget to obtain the best I could afford, because as SCraig has written, you can learn on a better model just as well.

If you are going for Nikon, at least here D5100 price is falling. Same sensor as D7000 (which would be a better choice of course, if you can).

I know Nikon pretty will and their "entry level" series (D3000-D7000) are really easy for a beginner to use. The more you move up the line, the more advanced features they have that you can grow into. I have the D7000 which is their top of the line entry level camera and there are many professionals who use this very camera. It can however, be set to "AUTO" and it becomes a "POINT AND SHOOT" that anyone can use. I would recommend that you buy the entry level Nikon that is in your price range.

I would suggest you going for a used 500D or 550D, or a new Nikon D5100. D5100's price is falling too much due to the very soon release of D5200. Check for Pentax DSLR's also, they're cheap, affordable, rugged, sturdy, easy to use and are built like a TANK!

Also look into mirrorless systems.

I got the D3100, still a great camera for beginners but obviously not as good as the D3200 but if you have a lower budget you won't regret it.

I just bought a Canon Rebel XT with the original box, manuals, and 4 aftermarket batteries for $150. Go used, you'll get a much better camera for your money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back