What's new

Which External HD's running Raid 1 (@ least 2 TB)???

gl600

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
156
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle East and Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to get an external HD that has Raid 1 capability to back up all of my photo's. Does anyone have suggestions?

[I'm also looking for a portable external Hd with a built in card reader... it does not need to be able to view the photo's, just reliable]
 
Last edited:
why would you want it to be compatible with raid 1 ??.... im confused
that is rated as slow compared to todays hardward.
 
why would you want it to be compatible with raid 1 ??.... im confused
that is rated as slow compared to todays hardward.

I have not researched much. (I am all researched out as I have just bought a bunch of photo gear and have been researching stuff for close to a month now... blah!)
what would you suggest?
 
a 1tb sata external X2
It works out cheaper to buy a sata external enclosure that can house 1tb sata drive then buy hdd urself and instal it "2 cables"

then buy a second one hehe ;)
 
a 1tb sata external X2
It works out cheaper to buy a sata external enclosure that can house 1tb sata drive then buy hdd urself and instal it "2 cables"

Can you please send me a link to "a 1tb sata external X2"

I also did not fully understand what it is cheaper than:meh:

(I remind you that I have not researched whats out there. :))
 
I was looking at something like
LaCie 2TB Hard Disk MAX Dual Drive RAID External Hard Drive
 
sorry, i will re-explane.

its cheaper to buy the components yourself and put it together than it is to buy the equipment ready made.

here is the 2 things you will need .

THE HARD DRIVE You will need 2 of these
&
THE ENCLOSURE you will need one of these.

its very simple to install, no software needed
 
Your running USB but its running sata internally. which is good stuff ;)
 
buy the best you can afford, with today's tech you wont be disappointed.
make sure it has a good guarantee ;)
 
sorry, i will re-explane.

its cheaper to buy the components yourself and put it together than it is to buy the equipment ready made.

here is the 2 things you will need .

THE HARD DRIVE You will need 2 of these
&
THE ENCLOSURE you will need one of these.

its very simple to install, no software needed

And I can run Raid 1 on them?
 
Raid 1 is the term used for 2 hard drives runnig in series to create a quick transfer rate between themselves and the pc/mac

but the term "raid" is lately loosely used and is sometimes used to describe any 2 hard drives that are connected together.

as long as the data transfer speed is above 200MBps the transfer will always be faster than needed (the ones i posted can handle 300MBps) MegaBitsPerSecond

most computers cant handle more than 150MBps so i wouldn't worry about what kinda speed they run at... if you ever see them running at 300MBps whilst working ith photos i would be amazed as speeds of that sort are only seen during video editing.


 
I'm really looking for one HD to mirror the other, I thought that it's called Raid1
 
yeah your correct
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom