Which Flash?

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Canon Flash but not sure what to get. I'd like to get one for just all around photos but I mainly want one for skating. I'd like something (if it's out there) that will shoot sequence shots but I'm not sure if it'll recharge fast enough. Anyone have any ideas?

The best Canon flash units are the 580ex or the older 550ex. I believe that these are the only two that have on board flash exposure compensation if you think that will be important. The next one down is the 420ex.

There is an older line of Canon flash units that are marked ez. These are not fully compatible with the newer EOS cameras but will work fine if your camera is older. Make sure to check compatibility of your camera.

You might want one that tilts & swivels so that you can bounce the light.

You should be able to find a comparison of the recycle times somewhere. Freshness of the batteries makes a big difference. If you really need fast recycle times for sequence shooting...you might look into a portable power pack to go with the flash.

Check out the currently EOS flashes here http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=141

Thanks Mikey :D I've checked out the site a bunch, but I'm still not sure what works for me :? I have an Elan7N so anything new should work I guess. I really just don't know if the flash will be able to recharge that fast. Thanks though.

I just read that the new 580ex recharges up to 25% faster than the 550 so that's probably the best one.

Again, battery type & freshness makes a big difference. You would have to confirm this but I think I read that with alkaline batteries the recycle time starts to lag when the batteries are about half done...so you can continue to use them but not as fast. With another type (can't remember which) the recycle time stays fast but then they die, that's it, you have to change them.

Ill check that flash out. But do you think I can get 8 consecutive flashes out on a shutter of 250 or so??

I couldn't tell you, sorry. You might be able to find a review on the web somewhere. You might even be able to test one out in a camera store.

Most reactions

Back