Which GoPro should I get?

cbarnard7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All-

I'm looking into getting a GoPro. I'll mostly be using it for hiking/mountain biking/kayaking and some other adventure stuff.

I've been looking around online and getting confused:

First off, there's the Hero 3 and Hero 3+. The Hero 3+ only seems to come in the Silver/Black versions, and is it worth the extra $$?

Then, there are the three different versions: White/Silver/Black

Is each upgrade really worth the extra $100 (White $199/Silver $299/Black $399)

Anybody have experience with these things that can fill me in?

I'm prob'ly not the best one to answer this, but I did a lot of research before I bought mine. The Hero 3+ is the latest version. Black is their top of the line and it had a couple qualities or features that were enough better than the other 2 versions that made it worth the price to me. And yes, the 3+ comes in white, silver or black. You can actually view the 3 in side-by-side comparisons on their site: GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera Click the Compare Cameras link in the lower-left corner, before you scroll down.

Jim

The difference between these is more megapixels and lastly the black edition comes with a remote control and wifi.

I've got the black edition myself, and the only 2 reasons were convenience and convenience. It comes in handy when you've got a couple of go pros which you need to activate remotely.

Also, the 30fps burst was a good feature. not that i've ever used it, but its good to have for if you ever need it.

Thanks for the info, guys! Anyone else have either the White or Silver that can chime in?

I have had a Hero 3 silver in the past and wasn't all that pleased with it. Granted, I had it before I even had a DSLR and knew the aspects of photography. I just wanted one because of how convenient they are. I ended up selling the Silver and buying a DSLR. Having my D7000 for a while I began to learn a lot about taking pictures/videos. I recently bought a refurbished Hero 3 Black from GoPro for $265 plus shipping and I have never been happier. Why not get a Hero 3 black for less than a Silver? I have not had any experience with the Hero 3+ but from what I've heard the differences between the 3 and 3+ aren't tremendous.

Here's the link to the refurbished Hero 3: http://gopro.com/cameras/refurbished-hero3-black-edition

I hate go pro. They all suck.

Go with one of these. Quality.

helmet2.jpg

The big issue for me was the higher frame rates the black and silver have (specifically 120fps). I film all the time in the Blacks 960p/100fps mode because i love the buttery smooth affect it creates. The silver can do 720p/120fps but the higher resolution on the Black is worth it (imho). Plus the black comes with the remote control.. which is nifty.

The refurb black is a screaming deal..

Are the goPro's really worth the money? I highly doubt it....look for a used one!

The megapixels and burst rate seem to be the difference. Are they worth the $100 price difference? That's up to you but basically it's $100 per extra 5 megapixels. (5, 10 or 15mps)

Are the goPro's really worth the money? I highly doubt it....look for a used one!
Here is what i do with my gopro..

1. 4 wheeling down in Moab Utah..
  2. Snowboarding
  3. Snowmobiling
  4. Recording my kids sports games/practices for the coaches (stick it on a tripod.. nice wide angle view)
  5. Fly it around on my Quadcopter
  6. Strap it to my English Bulldog
  7. and more.. (sledding, ice skating, hiking.. etc).

I guess if you just sit on the couch then its not worth the money :)

I have had the 3+ white version now since December. Not to pleased with its lowlight preformance. All of the current models come with wifi. And if you want the remote you can buy it separately like I did. BUT it renders pointless if you have a smart phone. Just download the gopro app. I do like the camera but I feel it's a little overpriced. During the week I use it as a dash cam on my semi. Using the loop feature. And on the weekend it's out on the trails with me.

My overall would be if you can get one cheap. Go for it. If you get one at full price, your just paying for the name

Most reactions

New Topics

Back