Which iPhone camera is the best?

ClarkParks15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Some people say iPhone 12’s camera is worse than 11’s, some say otherwise. So, according to you, which is the best iPhone camera ever?

Hell and welcome, if you want good photographs buy a decent camera....

Hell and welcome, if you want good photographs buy a decent camera....
Your signature quote and your comment don't agree :laugh2:

To the OP: Every iteration of any phone manufacturer yields incremental improvements in the camera stakes and the iPhone is no different; the 12 is slightly better in some situations than the 11, the 13 is slightly better - low light particularly - than the 12.

The iPhone 13 is pretty decent (I have one currently) but if you want the best smartphone camera, look at the Sony Xperia Pro-I, Samsung's S21 Ultra - soon to be replaced by the S22 - Google Pixel's latest and the Leica/Sharp collaboration.

Don't worry about gear snobs telling you smartphones are no good for photography, you can get some excellent images from them nowadays. I have the Canon R5 with several RF L lenses and still mostly use my phone because I have it on me all the time and I'm happy with the results.

The next one. Then the next one and then the next one.....etc......
I'm limited by the phone, which is a 2016 SE, so pretty much everything newer is better. I considered a iPad which would be useful for travel when I don't want a laptop but I just want to be able to login to check DraftKings (and other important sites?) :friendly_wink:

I looked at the camera specs. vs the SE and it seems the iPads, the camera is even worse? Smaller, less computer power. I never did understand how the phones have a 12MP camera, and the iPads have had, up until the 10, an 8MP camera. Why do the bigger iPads have a smaller resolution?

Anyway to answer the OP, who posted one message and left, or maybe someone who comes and reads. My opinion at this time, which will change to the quote about over and over, is: for the present, considering cost vs performance, the best bang for the buck iPhone, for the camera is the 8+ and here's why I'd buy one to take phone photos, if I had to use an iPhone. (Stockimo)

Easy to find for $250 or less used. Dual cameras, one standard f/1.8 and one 2X but still 12MP.

If anyone has any experience or knows why the iPads are 8MP and if they make better (or equal) images than a 12MP phone? I just keep wondering why an iPad with the extra room, has a smaller resolution?

If this is a serious post then you’ll want to check out DxOMark.com. They objectively rate cell phones, cameras, and lenses. It’s the first place I go when researching gear. You’ll see that the iPhone camera ratings have improved with each new generation.

If this is a serious post then you’ll want to check out DxOMark.com. They objectively rate cell phones, cameras, and lenses. It’s the first place I go when researching gear. You’ll see that the iPhone camera ratings have improved with each new generation.
Thank you, that's what I was looking for, an unbiased evaluation, instead of a linked review.

Apple iPhone 8 Plus 94
iPhone SE 2020 103

My idea of a tablet is shot down and I thank you.

Most reactions

Back