Which lens do I need?

Adam.Szotyori

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all! I'm new on the forum. I'm going to buy my first D-SLR, a Canon EOS 1000D, 1100D or 500D. It depends on my budget, which will be very low. I'm confused about the lenses. The 500D has only the 18-55mm kit lens without IS, and the 1100D has the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II. I would like to buy a second lens, a Canon 50mm f/1.4 prime lens. I also have found the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC HSM OS. The Sigma lens is better than the kit lens? (disregarding the focal length) Does the sigma 18-125mm have a better picture quality than the kit lens? Its better to buy two lenses (18-55mm + 70-300mm) than a single (18-125mm)?

There are some configuration:

1. Kit lens + Canon 50mm f1.4 + a tele (Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO maybe)
2. Sigma 18-125mm lens + Canon 50mm f1.4
3. The 500D body + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II + Canon 50mm f1.4 + a tele (Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO maybe)
4. A body + Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM + Canon 50mm f1.4

I like the Sigma lenses because they come with lens hood. I think it's important to have lenses with the same diameter for the filters, because it's more cheaper to buy only one set of filters (I was looking for the Hoya Pro1 Digital filters).

I know that its impossible, but I want a good, but a low-budget photo equipment. Please help to choose the best.

Last edited:
Its better to buy two lenses (18-55mm + 70-300mm) than a single (18-125mm)?
Yes, usually it is.

I like the Sigma lenses because they come with lens hood. I think it's important to have lenses with the same diameter for the filters, because it's more cheaper to buy only one set of filters (I was looking for the Hoya Pro1 Digital filters).
Rather then buy filters to fit all of your lenses (of different sizes), you can buy filters for the largest lens, and then buy cheap 'step-up-rings' for the smaller lenses. Much cheaper than buying multiple sizes of filters.
By the way, I wouldn't suggest running out and spending a lot on filters, until you find a need for them.

As for lenses, I'd suggest starting with the kit lens and see where that takes you. The 50mm F1.4 would be a great addition because it has what the kit lens doesn't...a large maximum aperture. After using that one (or two) lenses for a while...you will have a much better idea of where you will want to spend more money.

I'm inclined to agree - again - with Mike, there's always the possibility to add to your kit later, by which time you'll probably have a better idea what kind of photography you enjoy. There is the temptation to go out and get as wide a variety of glass as possible to cover all types of situations (we've all been there) but fact is there's a decent likelihood some of it will just end up sitting in your bag gathering dust, whereas once you've thoroughly used what you've got you'll see where you need to upgrade / extend.

By all accounts the IS 18-55 is better, not necessarily because of the IS but supposed to have better optical ability. If your thinking budget it may be an option to consider the 50mm f1.8 first, its very fast and about a third price of the f1.4, a good place to start me thinks

start with a 50mm f1.8. significantly less in price will give you very similar results to the 1.4. zoom id go 70-200 f2.8 apo by sigma. about a grand but excellent lens. look for a used one if you want to save some cash.

Most reactions

Back