Which lens is better?

Bob_K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new lens for my Minolta 330si. I go to a lot of auto races, so I want something that will focus pretty fast. I also like shooting wildlife, so quiet is good too. Obviously lens quality is important as well. The two lenses I was looking at are the
Konica Minolta - 75-300 MZ D Autofocus Zoom Lens
Lens: 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (D) (S)
Lens Construction:13 Elements in 10 Groups
Angle Of View: 32 - 8-degrees @ 10'
Minimum Focus: 4.9 feet
Max. Magnification: 1/4
Filter size: 55mm
Dimensions: (diameter x length) 2-13/16 x 4-13/16 inches
Weight: 16.25 ounces
and
Quantaray - Tech-10 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 High Speed Auto Focus Zoom
Focal Length: 70-300mm
Focus Type: Auto
Aperture Type: Automatic / Variable
Aperture Range: F4 - 22 (70mm) F5.6 - 32 (300mm)
Optical Construction: 14 Elements in 10 Groups
Minimum Focus: 58.5" (37" in Macro at 300mm)
Macro: Yes (1:2)
Filter Size: 62mm
Size/Weight: 4.7"x2.9" / 20.6oz

Going on the theory that a non-minolta lens should be chaper for the same product, and these are about the same price, is the Quantaray better? I realize tht it's heavier but that's not too improtant to me. The slightly better macro won't be too useful for my applications. Any thoughts?

I don't have any personal experience with Quantaray lenses, but I have heard some unkind things about them.

I used to know a person who worked for the Photo retailer who sells Quantaray, and he said they were made for them by one of the 3rd party lens makers, and quality was not always up to par.

His advice was to always try the one you were looking to buy before you paid for it and took it home. He said that sometimes the lens would be just fine, and the one that was right next to it in the carton would be wobbly, fuzzy, etc.

I agree I learned in school that you never take anyone's word on lenses.
You should definately try the lens before you buy it. I have also heard bad things about the Quantaray lenses. :lol:

I'd definitely take the Konica-Minolta lens. Worth the extra money, better quality glass. I had a Quantaray 24mm and it was very soft, hated it and practically gave it away.

see, i'm the complete opposite with quantaray, when i bought my maxxum 5, the kit I got was cheaper at one place with the quantaray 28-90 zoom, then it was most places with just the body, so i went ahead and got it, and the lens I got is great. So quantaray can be good, you just have to try it out before you take it home...make sure it's up to par. Dont ever not buy something because of the brand if it works good.

~Jovian~

Most reactions

Back