Which lens should I buy (3rd lens for Canon Xsi)?

newlucie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying a Canon Rebel Xsi. It comes with the 18-55mm lens and the 55-200mmm f/4.5-5.6 autofocus lens. I'm wondering which of the following 2 lens' I should buy; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens OR Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0 High Speed Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras?
Can someone help?
Thanks in advance

Since you're getting the 18-55 (a lens I would have skipped in favor of an f2.8 17-50mm or similar), I wouldn't get the 28-70 yet. Get used to your 18-55. I would lean towards the nifty-fifty or the 50mm f1.4

Ian

The 50mm f/1.8 is a great buy and a sharp lens with nice DOF capabilities.

Can you get it with the 17 - 85mm kit lens? I also picked up a cheap zoom (75 - 300 f/4 -5.6) with my first DSLR, and while it has captured a few cool shots, you get what you pay for... a bit soft and bad chromatic aberration at the long end.

I don't know anything about the Sigma.

If you are certain you are going to really work on your photography skills for a few years, then maybe get the camera body only and spend what you can afford on quality lenses only. Although in some cases you can get the kit lens, learn and latter sell them, I'm wondering if that market is getting a bit saturated about now.

Buying decisions like this are not easy, and my opinions are not very mature compared to some,.. so keep reading up and see what other suggestions come along.

-Shea

I agree... if you get the 18-55 kit lens, then the 28-70 will not be that much of an upgrade. That is of course, unless you get something like the 28-70 2.8 from tamron or sigma (running in the 300ish range).

The 50mm 1.8 would probably be a good choice here... the one thing I do want to mention is that for some reason lenses to seem to have a learning curve. Thus, as it sounds you're just getting the xti I would almost suggest you learn the two lenses you're getting and use that to figure out, first which focal range you're looking for. And then secondly what you dislike about each lens or what part you want to improve.

Here you might be looking for... do I use the 70mm range frequently of the 55-200... do the lenses seem too slow? meaning I need to use the flash because it doesn't work well in low light?

Another thing you could do is set your 18-55 lens to 50mm and try to use it for a couple days without zooming just to see if the 50mm would work well for you or if the fixed range would drive you nuts.

Ok. So I decided to hold off on getting the Canon kit with the 18-55mm lens and the 55-200mm. The kit was inexpensive ($599). I think I might get the body only. Now… should I still get the 18-55mm IS or not? I think I’ll end up getting the Tamron 17-50 2.8 (for $400) since many have suggested it but I did not really want to spend so much to start. Here’s what I’m trying to do; I’m new to SLR cameras, I have a Kodak Z710 (point and shoot) and basically take pictures of my one year old son. I probably don’t need multiple lenses but want to practice to become a better photographer. I’ve also found on Amazon the following lenses, mostly inexpensive so not sure I would be wasting my money. What should I get (if any)? Tamron AF 55-200mm F/4.0-5.6 Di-II LD Macro Lens for Canon for $181 Tamron AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Lens for Canon for $46 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens – Canon for $85 Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0 High Speed Zoom Lens for Canon SLR for $80 THANKS !

The 50mm f/1.8 is a great buy and a sharp lens with nice DOF capabilities.

Can you get it with the 17 - 85mm kit lens? I also picked up a cheap zoom (75 - 300 f/4 -5.6) with my first DSLR, and while it has captured a few cool shots, you get what you pay for... a bit soft and bad chromatic aberration at the long end.

I don't know anything about the Sigma.

If you are certain you are going to really work on your photography skills for a few years, then maybe get the camera body only and spend what you can afford on quality lenses only. Although in some cases you can get the kit lens, learn and latter sell them, I'm wondering if that market is getting a bit saturated about now.

Buying decisions like this are not easy, and my opinions are not very mature compared to some,.. so keep reading up and see what other suggestions come along.

-Shea

I don't know about any of those lenses,.. and my suggestions are probably outside your budget, but consider this:

I think it would be fun to get whatever camera body YOU like, and the nifty fifty! Get the lens, UV filter and hoody at the same time. Shoot for a week (or a few days), then think about your next lens...

Fun because you will have only laid out a buck fifty over the cost of the body (how disciplined) , and you will first be constrained to position yourself to get the shot, a creative exercise of sorts, and with that fast lens, tack sharp optics and decent bokeh, the light table will be a discovery channel. The other constraint will be the narrow focal plane at certain apertures, but this is also part of it's charm... low light sensitivity is good too.

If you can then step up to an L series poke around this site and others... $1,500. - even $1,100 can get you some great glass that will both last and retain a good resale value if you keep it mint with all the packing and receipt.

This is a walking around lens I think would be a great to have.. being lightish, and 24-105mm L series..

I'm currently hauling around this baby (24-70 f/2.8 L), a bit heavy, but nice throughout the range, etc.. see review.

This or this (both 70 -200) would start to round out a decent lens collection (no macro etc). I'm not sure about needing IS on this lens, but the IS version is weather sealed VS it's cheaper (possibly a hair sharper w/o IS optics) cousin (1,100 - 1,500 ish US).

Wanna try a kit lens?, look on Craig's List the things are everywhere for $300 or so.. offer $250. Some a bit more..

I'm not sure about all your questions or even how I became a lens advisor, but those links are what I'm looking at, and like I said resale is pretty good (aprx 85% for mint) so you might afford to experiment at a higher level, and recover quite a bit of your capitol should you decide the P&S was just fine.

-Shea

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back