Which lens should I rent for Europe trip?

Submariner1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking a Europe trip with my D610 and Nikon 16-35 and would like to rent a zoom for those not-so-wide shots but I want a very sharp lens. What would be a good complimentary lens to take along? Maybe just a 35-70 or 70-200?

I'd say the 70-200 but the thing is heavy. Make sure you bring one of those blackrapid shoulder straps, it is gonna save you some fatigue issues and accidents.

I'd say you can't go wrong with the 24-120 f4. It gives plenty of range and is a good not huge lens.

To be fair, this is a question down to personal choice and type of shooting

My vote is 70-200mm 2.8
I take with me Always! and Everywhere my Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and Tamron 70-200mm 2.8
Whether I walk all day on a trip or do an event this is a killer combination, good for full sunny day to night shots.
Its heavy and big but well worth the results.
Other lenses will be lighter and smaller but will not give you the sharpness, speed and flexibility such a 2 lens set gives!

Enjoy your trip

Well, the AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR is as sharp as they come. Last time I checked on DxOMark, the only zoom for Nikon that was even sharper was the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8.

Mind - I didnt check the total rating, which IMHO is total bullocks, ony the sharpness rating. Which is also kind of bullocks, only less so than the total rating.

Other sources (Ming Thein, photozone) state the 70-200mm only needs to be stopped down for more DOF, not for gaining sharpness.

The AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR2 of course is also considered very sharp by any source I ever read about it.

First, you may want to rethink your options: the 16-35 is a nice wide angle lens. But if you're shooting inside a low light cathedral, it's not going to cut it (unless you can use a tripod for a long exposure). I would be more inclined to have a wide angle that is fast.

Second, it's also a function of where you go and what you shoot. I love my 70-200mm f2.8. But I'd hate to travel with it. I use it mostly for sports and some wildlife. For landscapes or street photography or architecture, I wouldn't use it.

Most reactions

Back