which lens to choose.....?

If sharpness and image quality aren't a concern for you the Tamron is ok. If you care about IQ? Its junk. That's why its $60. It also covers almost all of the same range as the other one.
The Nikon is going to be better quality by quite a bit. Its a basic lens. Not anything special but netter than the Tamron!

If sharpness and image quality aren't a concern for you the Tamron is ok. If you care about IQ? Its junk. That's why its $60. It also covers almost all of the same range as the other one.
The Nikon is going to be better quality by quite a bit. Its a basic lens. Not anything special but netter than the Tamron!
thanks.

You seem to be looking at number over quality. Go for a good quality lens that fits within your budget. If you don't have every lens out there, that's ok!!! AND you can save your pennies (you'd be amazed how quickly I can come up with a few hundred bucks by just hiding my change from myself and my kids) and you can buy the next lens-of good quality.
If you buy crap, you get crap and you'll find you aren't satisfied with it in a short amount of time. I know it's hard when you want to cover everything.
By purchasing the 55-200 you will have a lens to cover wide with your 18-55 and one to cover zoom with the 55-200. They aren't top of the line lenses, but they are a pretty standard, basic kit. You can go a long way learning, playing and getting some amazing shots with those.
Sharpest lenses aren't always absolutely necessary. Yes, they certainly make life easier and your images pop a bit more, but with decent lenses you can produce excellent results. They also make you master your exposure and knowing how to use the focus system, aperture, etc a bit more than a more forgiving lens that is so sharp you can get away with a little more. Not such a bad thing there.
The tamron would cover almost all of both of those lenses but the quality of it is really poor. Not only is it not SHARP it kind of feels fuzzy. Edges aren't edges with it, they are almost a fading transition. I don't know how to describe it. I hardly ever use the clarity slider because of what it does to edges, but when my lenses were in for servicing last fall I tried using that thing. I had to max the clarity slider out to even feel like there was an edge to the items in the image.
My daughter still has it of them in her bag somewhere. It was so bad I gave it to my (at the time) 12 and 10 year old kids. It's so bad even at their ages and lack of experience they won't use it. So, right there you saved $60 for your penny jar.

If you have a hard time with the penny jar and putting that $60 in it? Put it into adorama or b&h gift cards. You can't spend it elsewhere if you do that!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back