'best' Macro lens for Nikon DSLR

Rebington

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my girlfriend a macro lens for her Nikon DSLR for Christmas.

She's a keen amateur photographer with some limited experience in macro work, whereas I'm a complete photographic know nothing!

I've been looking at the Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro-Nikkor Lens (based on amazon reviews alone) - which seems a good fit, but I don't want to buy her something which isn't a high enough spec only to have her want to upgrade in a few months time.

Any thoughts? If anyone could give me an idea as to if I'm at least buying a good lens for a serious photogpraher or need to look higher (or maybe Im spending too much $$$ and I could get a cheaper option! :) ) I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

thanks guys, wow $899.00 - this isnt a cheap hobby is it?

the extra $300 between the 60mm and the 105mm is worth it for a serious amateur photographer (i.e. she'll notice the difference in her work?)

Depends on the type of macro work she's into. If it's bugs and stuff, the extra working distance with the 105mm is worth the price of admission. if it's static work, save yourself a few bucks.

Best advice is to not buy anything.

Honestly when purchasing something as expensive as a lens which is also a fairly personal use item I really advocate letting the person choose the gear themselves. Its a big investment for you and the last thing you want is to give such an expensive tool which has little or no use for the person you're giving it to.

We can give loads of suggestions, but in the end its not us who are doing to be using the lens, nor is it yourself. If she's not dropping very specific and big hints as to the make and model then you've either got to coax it out of her (in a manner which does not result in a quick fire reply with little thought behind it on her part) or just open up and say what you want to get, give her the budget and let her choose; You can still make it a special event (dinner or something or a trip out) but whilst you lose the surprise you gain the fact that you know what you've given is what she wants.

That is far better than having an expensive gift that she hardly makes use of (because then she'll be full of guilt about not using it).

Overread makes some good points, buying something as personal as a lens could potentially backfire.. no doubt about that! Well to be honest though from my experience, most things can backfire when it comes to trying to guess what a woman wants! :lol:

Anyway, if you go ahead with this plan of yours. Seriously consider the Tamron 90 2.8, its a cheap macro but it produces beautiful contrast, colour and sharpness which simply takes your breath away! It is the sort of lens any sane person would find difficult not to fall in love with.. just cos it produces stunning images time and time again! Did I mention it's also cheap?

the extra $300 between the 60mm and the 105mm is worth it for a serious amateur photographer (i.e. she'll notice the difference in her work?)

Rebington, just get the Tamron AF 90mm 1:1 Macro...it is having same image quality as the Nikon 105mm and will cost you way less.

It is the best non-Nikorr macro lens avaiable today.

Rebington, just get the Tamron AF 90mm 1:1 Macro...it is having same image quality as the Nikon 105mm and will cost you way less.

It is the best non-Nikorr macro lens avaiable today.

I wouldn't agree with that. It is equal to pretty much all macro lens available.

Op, if this is just a hobby, look into used 3rd party lens. Sigma, tamron, tokina all make great macro lens.

Invest in the 105 with some teleconverters and you are diamond.

I shoot a lot of macro... it is one of my favorite types of photography. Choice of lenses for any type of photography varies... depending on skill level, and personal preference... and Macro has it's own set of issues that you have to deal with.

My advice would be to get her a gift certificate to either Amazon, B&H or Adorama... and let her make the choice. Three things to look at ... image quality, build quality, and minimum focusing distance for 1:1 macro (not necessarily in that order!) :)

Image Quality: I do disagree with the above statement about any one lens being the "BEST"! I do feel that the Nikons are going to give better image quality in general, than most of the third party lenses... but that doesn't always hold true. I love my Tokina 100 macro, for instance.. and would put it up against any other lens. I have never shot the Tamron.. and know nothing about it... but I have never found a Tamron that I wanted to own, either.. but I have seen some nice images from a skilled photographer when using the Tamron. The Sigma 150 and the older 150/180 rock.. and can give great images also. The Nikon 105 that was mentioned is a "Go-To" lens for many people.. and it is a wonderful lens.

Build quality: Nikon rules here (especially in their better lenses).. and the prices reflect that. That doesn't mean the others are junk.. just that they are built to a less expensive standard.

Closest Focusing distance for 1:1 macro: This is really important when shooting insects and any other live subject that may be wary of being approached. The Nikon 60mm that was mentioned is a great lens... but not for insects, as you have to get way TOO close with it.. even flowers and such are harder to light when you have to get this close to the subject.. The 90 and 100/105's do pretty well here, and you can usually get good shots without spooking too many critters. You may also want to look at the Nikon 85mm AFS G lens.. it does really well, and is fairly inexpensive for a good lens. The lenses in the 150mm and up range are going to be more expensive.. and they will also have the longest focusing distances. So you can see how this may affect your girlfriends choice of lenses... if she even likes to shoot insects.

It is very much a personal preference.. and sometime finances dictate what you shoot also. Other things to consider are... how she will be lighting the shot (natural or flash).. will she use tripod mostly, or does she want the freedom of handheld shots? Choice of lens will affect these things greatly... as will skill level. Most macro is also done with manual focus.. not AF, so while one lens may have better autofocus than another (faster, quieter, etc...) does that really matter if you are going to be using manual focus 90% of the time?

I hope this helps...

Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8. For macro it cannot be beat!

Many shooters would argue that the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro lens is "better".

OP, Soft supplemental lighting will make a much bigger difference than any lens at the Macro level. In general, Macro lenses are pretty much all sharp with good bokeh.

No one has asked what your actual budget is?

Most reactions

Back