which lens to use for concert shoot

cameramike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedifilippo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So tomorrow I'm going to be shooting probably over 100 pictures for my buddy's band. I've got a canon Rebel XTI with a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and a 50mm f1.8 lens. I wont be very far from them, (we'r talking about two arm distances or so away). Lighting is far from good in this place so i'm leaning towards the 50mm because of that reason but thinking it'll be tougher to get full body shots. I have no problem taking both lenses its just switching could be a bit tough in this situation. any recommendations?

take both...but the 50 is a better bet.
You can always back up..

The 50mm would definitely be my default lens. The other lens is likely to be much too slow to get any decent shots in what is likely to be difficult light conditions. Yes, all your shots will be close up, but that can work very well. Move around a bit if you can.

Good luck!

decided to take both, used the 50mm about twice. my primary lens (18-55mm) worked perfectly. the place is SMALL the stage takes up about 1/3rd of the space and it was nice being able to quickly change the amount of zoom to go from a head shot to a full group shot. the pictures came out pretty well, i have around 150 to go through and pick the good ones out of.

also i was able to use my flash so they were all taken at about 1/200th shutter speed so no problem with blurring only real problem was, after taking around 10 pictures i had to wait about 30-50seconds for the flash to reload, doesn't sound like a lot of time but when you've got a bassist jumping in the air and your waiting for the flash to reload your kicking your self for not waiting haha

Ah well nice one. If you're going to use flash then that'll solve your problem. I bet you lost all that lovely stage lighting though...

But it's a good compromise if you know how to use flash well when your zoom isn't fast enough.

well they probably didn't turn out with a "concert look"...but glad you're happy with them.

Flash :S I remembered a concert I shot with a 50mm at f/1.8 and at ISO3200 just so I could avoid flash...

the lighting is so bad in this place theres no way with even the 50mm i could have gotten a shot with out flash. they didnt have their canon lights on all the way and although the windows are covered with black cloth to block out light the fact it was practically black out didnt help.

here are a few, still editing i have around 110 all together
(by the way the theme for the show was halloween so they had to dress up)

IMG_0684%20copy.jpg

IMG_0687%20copy.jpg

IMG_0694%20copy.jpg

Most reactions

Back