Z Mount Lens Shopping

Daigoro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently bought a Nikon Z 7ii. Currently just using a Z 50mm 1.8. Getting used to a New Focus system, body, and mirror less system. I like the 50 1.8. For the price and the overall difference in quality, I don’t personally believe the 1.2 is worth it for what I need. The 1.8 is exceptional at that price point. I’d rather something much more different than a second 50. I shoot mostly street photography. Everything from random scenes through the city to impromptu portraits of strangers I meet and approach on the street. Both at night and daytime. Mostly outdoors. Occasionally in train stations or something like that. I live in Berlin so streets are more narrow than most American cities. So possibly something wide angle. I’m open to all kinds of input and perspectives. Don’t need anything with a crazy thin depth of field. Ideally looking for sharpness and versatility. I’m looking to spend around 1.000 to 2.000€. I’d be willing to consider a different Lens manufacturer with an adapter too as long as all the Z 7ii features work with it. I was leaning towards another Prime but I’d consider a zoom. I’ve been using a D850 for nearly 5 years with a 50mm and a Sigma 24-105 as my two primary lenses. I’m sure whatever I get will be an upgrade. Just would like some input, opinions, and First Hand experience with the Z Mount from some other people.
Thank you

Here's my personal experience. I've been fond of the 35mm focal length for street since the '80s. You get a sense that you are there and can reach out and touch the subject if shot at closer distances.
But 24mm and 28mm are quite popular for street too. Wide angles require getting in peoples face to make them the main subject if that's your style, but wide angles also capture a lot of environment that adds information of the setting. If your an environmental street photog the 24 can't be beat. I've taken my 24mm out some but I'm so accustomed to my 35 for people it felt a bit wide. I plan on exploring it more as I move ahead. I've tried the 28 and like it a lot as it reminds me of my 35 in function. Many fixed lens cameras have a 28 or 35mm. My 2 ¢

Here's my personal experience. I've been fond of the 35mm focal length for street since the '80s. You get a sense that you are there and can reach out and touch the subject if shot at closer distances.
But 24mm and 28mm are quite popular for street too. Wide angles require getting in peoples face to make them the main subject if that's your style, but wide angles also capture a lot of environment that adds information of the setting. If your an environmental street photog the 24 can't be beat. I've taken my 24mm out some but I'm so accustomed to my 35 for people it felt a bit wide. I plan on exploring it more as I move ahead. I've tried the 28 and like it a lot as it reminds me of my 35 in function. Many fixed lens cameras have a 28 or 35mm. My 2 ¢
How do you feel about the clarity and sharpness of the Z 35mm 1.8? I saw some sample images that looked to me like it was lacking in clarity. I need to tryin test one out

I’ve used 20mm, 28mm, and 35mm in the past as well and liked them. I guess my question is more about the specific quality of these Newer Z lenses and which ones perform well, compared to what I’ve been using for years (F mount)

Have been using a D850 / D500 combination for a few years now. I have over a dozen f mount lenses from Nikon, Sigma, and Tamron. When I got a Z9 and the FTZ II adapter I started with my f mount glass, which is working as well if not better than they did on the D850. I started picking up Z glass by how much I used their f-mount equivilents. The first lens was a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 S. Stellar lens, which I use for sports and some portraits. I then picked up an 85mm f/1.8 S for portraits, 50mm f/1.8S for events and general purpose photography, and 35mm f/1.8S for street photography. Next is a 1.4x teleconverter then a 24mm f/1.8 S for landscapes and astro photography. Eventually I'll complete the Trinity then move into the long telephotos to replace my 200-500mm f/5.6 (waiting on the Z 200-600mm f/? S) and 600mm f/4 G for birding.

As far as sharpness goes, the S glass is bit better than their f mount equivilents, but you have to go to 200% and look in the nooks and crannies to see any differences. I don't put as much emphasis on sharpness as I do on speed, especially t-stops (transmission), and vignetting. Distortion and CA are easily fixed in Post. Subject, lighting, and composition are much more important to good photos than sharpness. Please recall that sharpness is subjective and different from detail or resolution. Sharpness can be enhanced in post, but detail can only degrade with image manipulation. You will be very hard pressed to see the difference in IQ between a D850 with Nikon 85mm f/1.8 and a Z7 ii with a Nikon Z 85mm f/1.8 S. What the Z9 has done is significantly improved my keeper rate, especially birding, because of ibis and eye detection, but it has not had much an effect on IQ.

Last edited:
Have been using a D850 / D500 combination for a few years now. I have over a dozen f mount lenses from Nikon, Sigma, and Tamron. When I got a Z9 and the FTZ II adapter I started with my f mount glass, which is working as well if not better than they did on the D850. I started picking up Z glass by how much I used their f-mount equivilents. The first lens was a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 S. Stellar lens, which I use for sports and some portraits. I then picked up an 85mm f/1.8 S for portraits, 50mm f/1.8S for events and general purpose photography, and 35mm f/1.8S for street photography. Next is a 1.4x teleconverter then a 24mm f/1.8 S for landscapes and astro photography. Eventually I'll complete the trilogy then move into the long telephotos to replace my 200-500mm f/5.6 (waiting on the Z 200-600mm f/? S) and 600mm f/4 G for birding.

As far as sharpness goes, the S glass is bit better than their f mount equivilents, but you have to go to 200% and look in the nooks and crannies to see any differences. I don't put as much emphasis on sharpness as I do on speed, especially t-stops (transmission), and vignetting. Distortion and CA are easily fixed in Post. Subject, lighting, and composition are much more important to good photos than sharpness. Please recall that sharpness is subjective and different from detail or resolution. Sharpness can be enhanced in post, but detail can only degrade with image manipulation. You will be very hard pressed to see the difference in IQ between a D850 with Nikon 85mm f/1.8 and a Z7 ii with a Nikon Z 85mm f/1.8 S. What the Z9 has done is significantly improved my keeper rate, especially birding, because of ibis and eye detection, but it has not had much an effect on IQ.
I’ll go by a local camera store this weekend and ask to test out a 35mm. My focus is primarily on people and random street settings. Subjects are rarely more than 10-20 meters from me and usually 5-10 meters away. Everyone seems to have mostly good things to say about the 35. It seems a little pricey for a 35mm 1.8, but it’s significantly cheaper than what I was prepared to spend so I’ll strongly consider that. Thanks

I recently bought a Nikon Z 7ii. Currently just using a Z 50mm 1.8. Getting used to a New Focus system, body, and mirror less system. I like the 50 1.8. For the price and the overall difference in quality, I don’t personally believe the 1.2 is worth it for what I need. The 1.8 is exceptional at that price point. I’d rather something much more different than a second 50. I shoot mostly street photography. Everything from random scenes through the city to impromptu portraits of strangers I meet and approach on the street. Both at night and daytime. Mostly outdoors. Occasionally in train stations or something like that. I live in Berlin so streets are more narrow than most American cities. So possibly something wide angle. I’m open to all kinds of input and perspectives. Don’t need anything with a crazy thin depth of field. Ideally looking for sharpness and versatility. I’m looking to spend around 1.000 to 2.000€. I’d be willing to consider a different Lens manufacturer with an adapter too as long as all the Z 7ii features work with it. I was leaning towards another Prime but I’d consider a zoom. I’ve been using a D850 for nearly 5 years with a 50mm and a Sigma 24-105 as my two primary lenses. I’m sure whatever I get will be an upgrade. Just would like some input, opinions, and First Hand experience with the Z Mount from some other people.
Thank you
Hi .got any images to look at?

Thank you
Only you know what you need next. If the field of view with your 50mm lens is often too narrow, you need a shorter lens. If the field of view is often too wide, you need a longer lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back