What's new

Which lense?

mammarazzi

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 4, 2009
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Location
Twentynine Palms, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was looking into getting another lense and I have heard alot of great reviews about the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 but I noticed that it will not auto focus since I have a D60. I do tend to manually focus most of the time because I can never seem to get it to focus right where I want it. I guess I just need to decide whether auto focus is worth the extra $300 for the 50mm f/1.4. Has anyone used these lenses and if so which do you prefer?
 
I would recommend taking a look at the nikkor 35mm f/1.8. It has the autofocus motor built in so it will work with you camera and it's the equivalent of a 50mm on a full frame camera. I would choose that lens over the 50 unless you plan on going full frame anytime soon. GL
 
Agreed. 35mm focal length is better for DX anyhow. Though the 50 is a great lens as well, in most situations I find the shorter focal length of the 35 to work better for me.
 
I was looking into getting another lense and I have heard alot of great reviews about the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 but I noticed that it will not auto focus since I have a D60. I do tend to manually focus most of the time because I can never seem to get it to focus right where I want it. I guess I just need to decide whether auto focus is worth the extra $300 for the 50mm f/1.4. Has anyone used these lenses and if so which do you prefer?

True, it won't AF on your D60. But, it does transmit distance and focus info to the D60's CPU and AF system so the viewfinder's in-focus indicator still lights when manual focus has been achieved.

I'd also recommend checking out the 'Rangefinder' mode on page 116 of your D60 user manual.


Frankly, at the price point of about $130 new, the AF 50mm f/1.8D is a fine addition to almost any Nikon shooters kit.
 
if you do a search for Nifty Fifty in here, you will find HUNDREDS of posts about it.. its a great lens, and I've never found anyone who didn't like it.. and at 100 bucks.. you really can't go wrong..
 
Just get the 1.4, it will be worth it. I first had the 1.8, on a D60. I decided to get the 1.4 because I wanted the auto focus abilities. What I found was far more differences than just the ability to auto focus. The colors are rendered better in my opinion, it's sharper, especially at 1.8 and above. Yea it's more expensive, but if you can save for it and afford it, to me the difference is WELL worth the money. In reality, even the 50mm f1.4G at close to $500 is really cheap when it comes to GREAT lenses, which this is. I mean the next three lenses I want are between $1,000-$2,000. All I shoot with is my 50mm 1.4 right now. But to be honest, I can deal with it because this thing takes insanely great photos, so crisp, amazing bokeh, and worth every penny.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom