Which long range lens should I buy? Canon, Tamron or Sigma?

samo201

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently acquired a canon 550D and loving it to pieces. Although, while only possessing the kit lens the type of shots I can achieve are pretty limited. So I've decided to buy a 70-300mm lens, to get them kind of shots that I want to get.

My budget is around £120 and I'm stuck between three options and the minute. Would love to know which is the best build quality and will give me the best results. Any help would be perfect.

The Canon - Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

The Sigma -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000AM7CJ0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0G37WPDS15AS91R8RW2Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317819927&pf_rd_i=468294

The Tamron -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000HDZAUA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0G37WPDS15AS91R8RW2Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317819927&pf_rd_i=468294

If you have a preference or any other recommendations within the price range it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Samuel

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd contest that the type of shots you can achieve are limited. Some amazing photographers spend huge amounts of their time, some a majority of their time, with a single fixed-focal-length lens, often 28, 35 or 50mm. If you're new to the SLR, there's certainly way, way more you could do with your current kit.

What is the best purchase for you depends on what you want to achieve from your photography, and what type of shots you want to get. If you do want a telephoto zoom, of those three I'd go for the Canon - performance between the three is unlikely to differ much but Canon have better quality control and the Canon brand means the lens will keep its value better.

A lot of people find the 50mm a good first lens purchase after the kit. That'd be around 90 pounds new. No zoom, but on the 550D it would be a great portrait lens and get you sharper images, and in lower light, than the kit lens. Those are things the zooms you linked won't do. Also, a fixed focal length (non-zoom) lens makes you think about composition and framing more as you can't just zoom to fit, and can do wonders for your photography.
(Only slightly out of your budget is the 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens - not as good in low light as the 50mm but still better than the kit lens, still sharp - and really tiny which can make it a nice walkaround lens - especially as it's slightly wider than the 50mm which makes it a bit more "normal" on a crop-sensor camera like yours).

On the other hand, if you'll be working in good light conditions and want longer reach (for example, for photographing sports or wildlife) by all means go for one of the zooms. Don't expect wonders in terms of image quality for a zoom under 200 pounds, but they may be adequate for your current requirements.

Also - take a look at second-hand glass. If you have a London Camera Exchange branch near you, they're worth a visit. I recently picked up a lens similar to the ones you mention above (a Kodak 80-210mm) for only 60 pounds there.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for all your help.

I've had a look at the 50mm, the 70-30mm and the pancake lens, (all canon) and would buy all three if I could. But I think I'm going to end up buying the 70-300mm, because it may be most beneficial on my trip. I can get this new for around £85. I will probably invest in a 50mm, for about £75 mark in a few months time.

Thanks again.

Samuel Scott

Canon 70-200L f4 best buy on the planet bar none.

With the 75-300mm's I'd go with Canon. The optics and the focusing speed seem to be faster than the Sigma versions I've handled. If you can find it, go with the 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. It's only a few bucks more and well worth it. Eventually you'll probably end up upgrading and the resale value on the Canon will be a lot better.

Most reactions

Back