Which good mid-range camera and lens should i buy?

I would suggest a Canon T7i.
The high school that I help the yearbook uses the T7i as the night and indoor sport camera, as the high ISO is 25600. Yeah you loose IQ at the higher ISO, but at least you can get a shot.

But I am not familiar with Canon lenses to make a suggestion there.

Manuel, you have to make a decision; lens speed or zoom. Everything is a compromise.
And FAST zooms are EXPENSIVE.
One of these is the $1,000 Sigma 50-100 f/1.8. Which BTW does not have IS/VR/OS, and I would really want for low light.
I went through this decision, then got a 35mm f/1.7 to shoot in low light. I wanted the speed more than I wanted the zoom.

The 85/1.8 is not a zoom one tho right? And the prices i found are over 300$

At your budget you’re going to have to take a compromise somewhere.

You want low light ability, you’re going to have to get a prime. You want zoom, you’re going to lose low light ability.

The sigma 50-100 1.8 would probably excel at what you want to do on a dx camera but it’s well out of your price range.

My recommendation is based on 1) a used camera 2)a used Nikon FX or "full-frame" d-slr camera and 3)a 50mm single focal length lens or 4)a fixed focal length 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G lens of superlative optical quality 5)designed to give you the ability to shoot the exact types of telephoto lens-captures you show in your example pictures 6)so that the total budget for the High-ISO capable,low-light-capable is around $1,000.

By my way of looking at it, even the now-aged Nikon D700, 12-megapixel full-frame camera, or a used D3s 12-MP full-frame camera, or a $500 used Nikon D600 camera, will give you very good higher-ISO captures, and will work splendidly with a used $65 to $95 50mm f/1.8 AF-D lens, or with a used $300 85/1.8 AF-S G Nikkor lens.

Personally, I favor the bigger pixels and wider image capture area of Nikon FX-format over Nikon's DX format. With FX, 24mm is a wide-angle, 28 a wide, 35 a semi-wide, 50 a normal, 85 a short telephoto. With DX, everything is effed up...

There are a lot of used Nikon-branded 50mm and 85mm autofocus lenses out there. They were designed for use on a 24x36mm image capture area; once you start going down-sized to a DX-format camera, then you need to find suitably "fast" lenses designed for DX cameras, and that's very difficult on a $1,000 budget for body and lens. There are LOADS of used Nikon-made lenses for FX-format use; the DX-lens field is in large part, slowish lenses designed for low cost and lower-tier performance, with some exceptions, and very few of them. The key is simple: buy a second-hand, Nikon, full-frame camera, and start there.

Start with the horse, not with the cart.

Most reactions

Back