Which macro lens?

Which macro lens?

• Sigma Normal 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Digital SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLR Cameras

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

alyphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I purchased my t2i about a week ago, and I've been using my old methods of holding a binocular infront of the stock lens for any macro I do; it's much harder than with a P&S to get good results, I knew this when I bought the camera so I'm not disappointed :) Just trying to figure out which lens I should pick up now.

I have a tight budget, so there will be no options for any over $360ish unless I wait a few months. I've been asking around several places and they keep recommending $600-1000 lenses, please don't unless you know of one cheap that is used, I can't afford those and don't think I need something so serious.

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, though, I'm just looking for advice on which one would be fit me!

All TV Mall
Sigma Normal 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
I would get this new, and it's only $300 here with free shipping

Amazon.com: Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
I would pick this one up used, for $366

Amazon.com: Used and New: Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Digital SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLR Cameras
This one is out of my price range. I have been looking around for it used - it's just that all the sellers have no feedback or bad feedback or no return policies. I'm scared enough to buy used gear so it must be from a reputable vendor, if anyone knows where else I can look for this one, if it's the best choice.

As for the type of macro I do; it's mostly inside work with stationary objects. Water droplets, charms, random things. Alyphoto on deviantART Here is my DA link if you want more in depth examples!
However, when we go walking I do take my camera, and I do think I would want to be able to use it then too. It's been nearly 110 here daily so I haven't been able to walk much with my t2i or my p&s for that matter, so I don't know exactly what I need there. Close up of flowers that are in the brush (thus hard to get to), maybe butterflies...other bugs are of no real interest, so a "quiet" lens that wont scare bugs isn't high priority.
I hear a lot of people wish they bought, or do upgrade to 90-100mm macro from 50mm...then again, a lot don't.
I'm okay with manual only focus.
I'm open to suggestions other than what I listed. Although I've decided against getting macro filters or extension tubes; it's kinda like what I do now, and I want the ability to not HAVE to get RIGHT ontop of the object unless I want to.
I don't think I need it to double as a portrait lens; I will be getting this one in the coming months; Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: Electronics

I know my camera is a cropped sensor so I'm also confused on how that will effect the lens I pick, and which mm would work best for me.

I've submitted a poll for those that don't wish to post and explain answers ^^; please do so if you pick Other, though!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Take a serious look at the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro and the Canon 100mm 2.8 IS Macro, the latter is the newest model wtih image stabilization and a much higher price tag. The older version, one I have been using for years, is a very good macro lens and from comparisons I've made of it with the 60mm macro there's no difference in image quality. The 100mm gives you more room from your subject so you don't scare those butterlies away as often but still lets you get the frame full. It is very sharp, cood colors, and provides nice smooth bakcgrounds when you shoot with a shallow dof. You will be able to find the older model used fairly easy, the newer version has not been out long enough for many to be on the used market. I've always felt that it was good enought that Canon should have labled it an "L" lens.

Last edited:
Also check out the tokina at-x pro d 100mm f2.8 macro. You can find them from used to new from $325-$460. I don't see any used right now on keh or adoram. They usually go real quick used.

Well image quality wise you don't have to worry much, macro lenses are pretty much all standing on a very even footing with each other. Even the 100mm L lens isn't making much of a difference over regular macro lenses and whilst studio testing might well show some differences they are going to be minor and after processing and in real world shooting they won't be make or break differences for the most part.
Thus you are free to match budget and features of the lenses to your specific needs without having to specifically worry about image quality being negitivly affected. The only differences you will get are:

a) Longer focal lengths give more working distance - that is distance from the front of the lens to the subject, which is good when one wants to work with insects and the like

b) Longer focal length lenses give a greater amount of background blurring to the shot. It does not affect depth of field at all at the 1:1 magnification point, but still changes the background appearance (Though note this is an effect more easily seen at the extremes of the focal ranges).

From the budget you've outlined and the lenses you've got as options I'd say you've two options:
1) Extension tubes with the 50mm f1.8 - adding a set of good extension tubes (those with metal contacts for lens control) to the 50mm would give you just over the 1:1 magnification ratio that a regular macro lens can achieve at its greatest magnification. The payoff is that you've lost infinity focus whilst the tubes are connected, however they don't impact image quality very much (degradation is so slight that most consider it null). This does mean that you need to put the tubes on each time you want a macro shot and this might be a pain when walking around and the like.

Avoid Canon extension tubes as they are very overpriced - Kenko Extension tubes give you much better value for money with pretty much identical build quality to the Canon ones.

2) Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro. Whilst you're interests are not specific about insects, you do have waterdrops as an interest and in that situation you might find increased working distance (over shorter focal lengths or the suggestion above) will make things easier to work with (ie less chance of things getting wet).

As for fullframe vs crop sensor it won't make any difference to the magnification the lens achieves and will only affect the angle of view you get, which is the same for any regular lenses. However if you've no prior experience of fullframe cameras the effect is mostly not one to concern yourself with - save to keep a mind to specific distortions you can get with wider angle lenses.

Magnification: 1:1 is the ratio of
Size of subject as reflected on the sensor by the lens : size of the subject in real life
Thus this is always fixed, whilst a crop sensor will crop away the edges of the shot (as normal) the magnification of the capture is still the same.

For second hand options you might also consider (for the USA)
Keh.com
Adorama
B&H

From what I read about tubes and the like, I have to be very close to the subjects. I have to do that now with my current methods of telescope/binocular, and it's really something I would like to stay away from when getting a lens set up for this camera. Or would a 'good set' allow me to get farther/closer, and not have a fixed point of focus?

I'll defiantly keep an eye out for the tokina used. Although, is the 90mm tammron a significant difference from the 100m tokina? If I can't find it used I may be waiting for a while for my lens..

Thank you very much for all the input :)

I've decided I'll wait until the 24thish, my birthday, and see what funds I have; I'll try to find the tokina pro by then. If not I will most likely get the Tamron 90mm. Seems like I want a 90-100m for the most versatile shots, and I think I'll be very happy with either lens.

Oh, something I forgot to ask. Will I need step up/down rings for the tamron/tokina to fit the t2i?

Oh, something I forgot to ask. Will I need step up/down rings for the tamron/tokina to fit the t2i?

You shouldn't need anything to mount the lens to your camera. Tokina and Tamron both use the correct mounts for their Canon versions so no adapters are needed. You may be thinking of step up and step down rings for using a filter. Whether or not you need step up or down rings will depend on what size your filter is and what size the filter threads are on the lens.

Most reactions

Back