Which medium?

duncanp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.duncanphilpott.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im tempted to save and work for a digital SLR, but i also want a hasslebad...

any ideas / suggestions?

thanks

Duncan

Medium format equipment is really cheap, thanks to lots of professionals and serious amateurs 'going digital'. I sold my dSLR and went back to 35mm, but quickly moved on to a mint Bronica ETRSi. I've bought two of them in fact, so I'll be all set for the next 20 or 30 years. I thought about H'blad, but I think that to some extent you are paying for the name. Fantastic cameras of course, and built to last, but how much of the additional cost will you see in the negative?

Thomsk

I've got a Bronica ETRsi and L.O.V.E. it. It's one of my 3 favorite cameras (none of which are my DSLR). It was much cheaper than a Hassie but a Hassie just makes you :drool:

What makes the ETRSi better then, say, a Yashica 124G? Or are they just different, like comparing apples and oranges?

The ETRSi is a medium format SLR with interchangeable film backs. This is what sold it to me (apart from the build quality and the price), because it means that I can load different backs with the same film, but swap them for different conditions - low, normal and high contrast scenes, each of which can be developed differently. I've got a total of four backs now, which means I can carry three loaded with FP4+ (for example) to use as explained above, and the fourth with slide film if I want to.

The Yashicamat is a twin lens reflex with no removable back. Nothing wrong with that, and they are highly regarded cameras. But as you say, you aren't comparing like with like.

Thomsk

nealjpage said:
What makes the ETRSi better then, say, a Yashica 124G? Or are they just different, like comparing apples and oranges?

Depends what you mean by "better". The Bronica SLR probably has more features, WYSIWYG, and interchangable lenses of a more modern design. Does this mean it will take a better photograph? No.

ksmattfish said:
Depends what you mean by "better". The Bronica SLR probably has more features, WYSIWYG, and interchangable lenses of a more modern design. Does this mean it will take a better photograph? No.

That is certainly true. I really like Lee Miller's work, all done with a 6x6 TLR (Rolleiflex I think), from the late 1930's onwards. Dunanp, a camera is just a box that holds the film. Some boxes are better than others, but they aren't what make the photograph.

Thomsk

I'll probably get a Hassy system before I invest in any more 35mm gear. (I have canon Drebel with some AF glass and a small A-1 with some manual glass)

Right now a LOT of people are getting canon DSLRs and you see a huge increase in prices of non canon lenses. M42, olympus, nikon, contax... are all becoming popular.

There are digital backs for hassies which will probably be under a grand 10 years from now.

A lot of high end studios using phase one backs. Gradually the MF might make a comeback. I don't want to wait until the prices for hassies go up again.

But that's just a conspiracy theory.

BTW: I didnt' mean to say that nikon glass wasn't popular... now with D200 the demand is increasing again for MF glass.

Once you get past a certain minimum level of image quality, a specific camera does not take a 'better' picture than another one any more than a specific typewriter writes a better novel than another one.

Torus34 said:
Once you get past a certain minimum level of image quality, a specific camera does not take a 'better' picture than another one any more than a specific typewriter writes a better novel than another one.

I like that logic :) Means your not tempted to go out and buy the new model of your camera every year

I have a DSLR and a Hasselblad 500 c/m. I wouldn't want to give up either one.

Used Hasselblad prices are lower than ever, but as has been mentioned there are lots of other medium format options that are even cheaper. I love those Zeiss lenses on the Hassy, but the fact is most of my medium format cameras do a great job, including the cheaper, and less popular brands. I think you should be able to find a decent condition, used Hassy with WL finder, a film back, and the standard lens for $600 or less. But it's possible to start out in medium format for less than $200. Then you could save your money for a DSLR and/or 120 film and processing.

Do you have a good local lab that does 120 film? The kids in the photo labs these days, they're all up on the digital, but don't have much experience handling 120 and 220. I do all of my own BW, but I began to have trouble getting good service with color 120. I was getting a lot more scratches and fogged film from mishandling at the lab. It's the main reason I bought a DSLR when I did.

When I bought a DSLR it ended up being about four times more expensive than I originally thought. Besides lenses and neccessary accessories (extra batteries, cf cards, cable release, etc...), I found that I quickly needed a computer upgrade, and a lot more hard drive space.

I think of cameras like cars. The Hasselblad is vintage Detroit steel (Swedish steel?), and the DSLR is a modern, efficient Japanese sedan. The speedometer on the vintage auto has bigger numbers, and it's sexy and fun to drive, but either vehicle can get me to the grocery store, work, home, etc... The modern vehicle does it cheaper, quieter, more efficiently. Which one gets me where I'm going today just depends on my mood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back