Which Nixon to buy????

Bea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just bought a Nikon D40, only have the 18-55mm lens it came with.
I'm not so happy with the "point and click" images I get.
So my question is should I get the D40X, or just a better lens for my D40?
I took a class ages ago and am just getting back into SLR photography.....so the problem could definately be me as well ;)
I only have 30 days to decide, and was going to get the D40X to start, but the guy in the store said I wouldn't notice the difference! He just pulling my chain or is he right?
From what I could gather the difference is the megapixels and the ISO.
Any advise would be much appreciated; I'm thick skinned so if it's me I won't be crushed ;)
Thank,
B.

Richard. Hands down. History will judge him well.

For realios - these are the differences:

• 10 megapixel sensor
  • Lower base sensitivity (ISO 100 vs ISO 200)
  • Auto ISO option includes ISO 200
  • Faster continuous shooting (3 fps vs. 2.5 fps)*
If the above is worth 200/300 (depending on where you get it) - go for the X. About the only change that would matter to me as someone getting their first dSLR, would be the 10mp sensor - and while it certainly means larger prints - the effective difference for a hobbyist isn't that great.

I would give the D40 a decent shot and spend your money on lenses. First of all you are not going to get great pictures automatically by "pointing and clicking".....I would suggest read the entire manual if you have not already, and make sure you are thinking about lighting, composition and exposure at least a little when taking your shots. Personally I think that the D40 plus lenses is a better deal than the D40x but that would suit my needs not necessarily yours.

I just bought a Nikon D40, only have the 18-55mm lens it came with.
I'm not so happy with the "point and click" images I get.
So my question is should I get the D40X, or just a better lens for my D40?
I took a class ages ago and am just getting back into SLR photography.....so the problem could definately be me as well ;)
I only have 30 days to decide, and was going to get the D40X to start, but the guy in the store said I wouldn't notice the difference! He just pulling my chain or is he right?
From what I could gather the difference is the megapixels and the ISO.
Any advise would be much appreciated; I'm thick skinned so if it's me I won't be crushed ;)
Thank,
B.

It's you, not the camera. It's the same as if asking "does a faster car make you a better driver? " no. It just takes time and practice, and that you'll start getting better. a centered composition is a centered composition.

I'm going to have to agree with Sw1tchFX on this one. The camera is not giving you point and shoot images. You are pointing and shooting...that's where the point and shoot images come from.

You can shoot in program, or shoot in manual using the meter and putting it smack in the middle...but either way you're getting the same thing...
Also, centering your subject in the frame for every shot is still centering for every camera.

Try and see if the community college near you have some night school courses on manual photography/SLR photography...it's worth the money.

I'd say keep the D40 if your other option is the D40X...get a lens. Perhaps the 18-200 VR...beauty of a lens for a beginner...

The main reason I ask about the D4o and D40X is because I have a friend that knows as much as me right now, the basics. He gets great picture on auto setting, and I don't. I'm not sure if he has the D40x or a bigger lens.....hence the question. Should the picture quality be the same on auto mode from both cameras?

There should not be that much of a difference....maybe try and figure out the differences between your images and his and see what you can do to change it. The lens will have more to do with it than the camera (I believe) but it should not be that huge of a difference.

It's you, not the camera. It's the same as if asking "does a faster car make you a better driver? " no. It just takes time and practice, and that you'll start getting better. a centered composition is a centered composition.

Word.

There is no practical difference between the D40 and D40x, basically just some very minor stuff and 4 megapixels that are meaningless to what you are doing...

Megapixels do not make better pictures. IMHO the D40 actually has slightly better image quality.

Also, there is nothing wrong with your lens. It is a nice, sharp lens. Are there better? Yes. Are they faster? Yes. Will they make your pictures better? No, not until you have done a LOT of learning.

Hey, it is normal to be unsatisfied with your images, especially when you are just starting out. Figure out what you don't like about them, and fix that.

Buying a D40x instead of a D40 isn't going to help one bit.

Thank you all so much :D
I know a major factor is that I'm not educated....yet!
I was just a bit stressed about deciding which one to get.
I'm going to stay with the D40 and learn.....a lot!
Then move into a better lens when I'm ready.
The only thing I wish is that they made a nice comfortable DSLR for left handed people!!!
Do they???
B.

they don't. I mentioned it in your other thread.

Anyways...what it could be...is the picture quality mode. And the parameters (I forget what Nikon calls them)...but anyways.

Raw will usually be less colourful because you need to do all the saturation changes and whatnot in post processing.
Also, if you're both using jpg...the camera has different picture modes...like "vibrant, true, faithful, colourful, blah blah"....and you could be using a different one and you like the one he has better...

Read the manual, and experiment as much as possible.

What a camera does in auto is no determination of the quality. I find auto to make mostly awful pictures on my camera...but going to manual can change a lot of things once you know how to meter and understand exposure and whatnot.

Most reactions

Back