Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please help me decide.
Which of the two "speaks" more?
And would you (with these only) understand what you're looking at?
Or is it necessary for you to see the photo that shows the entire contest around it?

SilvesterUm_2.jpg

SilvesterUm_3.jpg

Hmmm... this is a tough one, since the difference is not that big. I would go with the second one, because the first one doesn't offer any more information than the second one.
The white torn-up piece of paper in the first one draws my attention immediately to it, and because it's out of focus it seems really distracting.

I think that you get (with both versions) that it's about destruction of nature. I would only use a wider angle if you wanted to go in the photo-journalism direction.

I like number 2 but would crop out, or PS out, the white paper in the lower left corner.

So, the two of you don't need to see that these are collected on a bench (as can -maybe?? - be seen in Photo 1)??? Or can't you deduce that additional bit of info from the first?

So, the two of you don't need to see that these are collected on a bench (as can -maybe?? - be seen in Photo 1)??? Or can't you deduce that additional bit of info from the first?
I wouldn't be able to see that they are on a bench from the second one. I recognized it from the first one, of course.

But i think it's the point you want to get across. If it's important to you that they are on a bench then of course go with the first one. But as a reminder of the destructive nature of man the second one works too.

Right, I tell you this: when I came past this site, what attracted my attention was that a) all the bottles were lying on that bench (not on the ground somewhere), and b) that both bench and bottles (in the case of the wine bottles) were the same colour, and c) that everything was equally frozen over and showed the same patterns of hoarfrost.

I'll now show you the "context photo".
SilvesterUm_1.jpg

My interpretation of the whole scene was that some group of youngsters must have celebrated New Year's Eve here and left all their bottles lying there.

Now imagine further: if you were to contribute to a contest with the theme "Winter Scenes", and you want to come up with something different but landscapes, which are the most obvious (!), would any of these do?

Maybe an additional, interesting piece of information about this bench is that it is practically in the middle of nowhere, there is no urbanisation near it for at least 2 or 3 miles around. There's bits of wooded areas, lots of fields, and one bench. This one.

Well, now that you have posted it, I like the one with the bench in view.. I'd title it, "Liver destruction," or, "The Day My Liver Died.." Maybe, "I feel warm, but my liver isn't happy about it.."

If you want to convey that it was a celebration that took place outside in the winter, then I think the second one is the best because you can really see the frost on the glass.

I think the composition in 2 really highlights the frost, and the leaves on the glass, it seems in this one, the contrast of nature and the glass is really the subject of the shot. The first pic for me emphasizes the way they are almost deliberately laid on the bench, they sort of look peaceful laying there, I think the bottles are the subject of this photo. The third photo for some reason, seems more chaotic to me because it shows the whole bench, and from that one I get a sense of a big party that must have taken place, and that the bottles are something of an aftermath of the subject (which is the celebration) and not the subject themselves.

thats just my thoughts.

I did really like the way the colors all sort of blend together with the bottles, the bench and the green in the background, because they're all somewhat covered in frost, it makes the whole scene really hold together.

The first pic for me emphasizes the way they are almost deliberately laid on the bench, they sort of look peaceful laying there, I think the bottles are the subject of this photo. somewhat covered in frost, it makes the whole scene really hold together.

This is what has me going for shot #1 and for me there's also a timelessness about the shot as in the bottles could have been there for ages given the accumulation of the leaves.

Thanks for helping me think about it, the three of you.
I think I now tend more towards the first, with parts of the bench in the picture. The ice may be clearer, better to be seen, in the second, but the array of bottles, the similarity of colours, the coverage of all in hoarfrost ... Yes.

AND it doesn't have the brightly white label in the lower lefthand corner which I would still need to work upon ;) ...

i think i like the closer up version since only the last bottle is in focus.

interesting, and nice color too

#1 speaks to me more so. The fact the bottles are on a bench is more easily discernable than #2 Also, the clump of debris towards the rear of the bottles is less noticible.... and the antenna which is also created.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back