Which one lens good for portrait

shshramonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone
I'm beginner photography but since i use T3i for hobby, just bought canon 6D with lens 24-105mm f/4L IS USM so i started shooting some portrait but there not sharp, it's related lens ? because wide-angle ? or should use hight speed shutter !!! i posted some pic at flicker or 500px, check view exif info.. some thing i wrong setting or ... anyone can help me thank you and check below for links

Flickr: Portrait | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
500PX: 500px / Portrait - Em Lavern by Shahram Shahidi

Again many thank you

Doing portraiture requires using several lenses.

Pros use the longest focal length they can, particularly when they want to use selective focus (a shallow depth-of-field).

At any rate, how much of your money can we spend?

Doing portraiture requires using several lenses.

Pros use the longest focal length they can, particularly when they want to use selective focus (a shallow depth-of-field).

At any rate, how much of your money can we spend?

I'm beginner so there required several lens ? I have canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM so there not good for portrait ? My question why pic not sharp, it's related with my lens or setting...

Can you post sample pictures? Could help people understand why your shots aren't sharp.

I like my 70-200 for portrait work. It's my go to for portraits. I also use my 50mm for portrait work also. Especially on crop body dslr's the 50mm is nice.

Can you post sample pictures? Could help people understand why your shots aren't sharp.

I like my 70-200 for portrait work. It's my go to for portraits. I also use my 50mm for portrait work also. Especially on crop body dslr's the 50mm is nice.

thank you for reply and i post links for my pic on first thread so i shall post pic or links ?

The best focal length depends on how much space you have available.

If you intend to shoot with available light indoors, or you want to separate your subject from the background using depth of field, you'll want a lens with a large maximum aperture (1.2 or 1.4 for shorter focal lengths, you can get away with more on longer focal lengths). Post sample images with the settings used to take the photo (hopefully the file you post should contain this, anyway) and we can help you out.

If you'll be shooting with complicated backgrounds that you want to blur nicely, you'll want a lens with nice bokeh (the quality of the out of focus sections of the image).

Budget is a factor, clearly, so I'll include mid-range and top of the range lenses below:

If space is tight (mostly shooting indoors), consider
- 35mm 1.4 (for wider shots - full body)
- 50mm 1.4
- 50mm 1.2
- 85mm 1.8
- 85mm 1.2L
- 24-70 2.8L

If you have plenty of space (large studio or outdoors shooting), consider
- 50mm 1.4 (for full body shots)
- 85mm 1.8
- 85mm 1.2L
- 70-200 2.8L
- 100 2.0
- 135 2.8
- 135 2.0L

As posted above, if you're not getting sharp shots with your current equipment, it's a good idea to analyse the reasons why - it might be technique/settings rather than equipment.

The image you linked above is 1/80 second at 65mm, which should be plenty to ensure sharp images on an IS lens. If you want to check that it's not shake causing any softness, turn of IS and shoot with the camera on a tripod, using the self-timer (to avoid shaking the camera when you press the shutter button.)) However, you're shooting the lens wide open at f/4 where it may be a little soft - stopping down to say f/5.6 would improve the sharpness. That said, viewing it at 2048 pixels on flickr, it looks plenty sharp enough to me (and anyway, having razor sharp images on a portrait is not necessarily desirable).

I'm no pro, but I look at that picture on Flikr and think its just the right amount of softness, especially for a female subject

The lens you have is perfectly ok (it is a top quality lens) don't waist your money on other lenses any lens can be used for portraits

One lens will work to get started.

But not all portrait shots are of a single person. Other lenses are needed for groups of people and for different shooting situations.

Hello everyone
I'm beginner photography but since i use T3i for hobby, just bought canon 6D with lens 24-105mm f/4L IS USM so i started shooting some portrait but there not sharp, it's related lens ? because wide-angle ? or should use hight speed shutter !!! i posted some pic at flicker or 500px, check view exif info.. some thing i wrong setting or ... anyone can help me thank you and check below for links

Flickr: Portrait | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
500PX: 500px / Portrait - Em Lavern by Shahram Shahidi

Again many thank you

I have the same 6D 24-105mm lens setup as you. Many folks, myself included, have commented about how that lens is not particularly sharp. I ALWAYS have to add 3 clicks of sharpness in Canon's DPP software to get an acceptable image. About the best you can do, in my experience with that combination, is set the f stop to about 7 or 8. I try to avoid a wide open aperture if possible. I don't take portrait shots but I do photograph a lot of museum placards and text that isn't sharp is immediately noticeable. All I can say is I never had a sharpness problem with my previous setup which was a 7D and a Sigma 18-250mm. The 6D itself is great so I guess you'll just have to start renting lenses and trying hit or miss until you find a decent one. I've always owned Canon DSLR cameras but I've only owned 2 Canon lenses and I've been very displeased with both of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back