Which photoshop?

Namibia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi - I am in the market for photoshop and not sure which one is better for starting with? CS5 or Lightroom 3?

They are two different programs - Lightroom is a RAW processing and Organising software package primarily. It will process your RAWs - make some additional global (the whole photo) adjustments to your photos and also run a library system to catalogue your photography archives.

However it is not a pure photo editing program and for that you will need something additional such as photoshop elements or the full CS5 version. Generally when starting out thought the price of CS5 and the complexity of the program set it at a point rather higher than most actually need - you pay a high cost for a program that will take avery very long time to grow into (and many features you might never use). I'm not saying its not a worthwhile editing program - its the market leader - just that I feel it can be overkill to be beginner not fully experienced in using it and also having to learn the in-camera side of things as well.

Thanks for your advice and help in making me decide. I will stick to the canon editing "stuff" and together with my mac will be able to edit enough for now.

They are two different programs - Lightroom is a RAW processing and Organising software package primarily. It will process your RAWs - make some additional global (the whole photo) adjustments to your photos and also run a library system to catalogue your photography archives.

Really, Lightroom also allows for some, guided, local adjustments. I bought it for that reason: not willing to have the full Photoshop, but needing something more than Canon DPP, which is truly only working on the global image. I'm able to soften skin while sharpening eyes on portraits, and that's ok for me.
By the way, Adobe has really good prices for students and teachers.

Most reactions

Back