Which route do I take???

hw13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I woke up this morning and thought, maybe I should upgrade my camera...

I currently have the Canon Rebel XSI.
For lenses I have...
EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 (kit lens)
EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III
EF 50mm 1.8 II
and I also have a Speedlite 430EX.

I've just gotten more serious about photography in the last year and a lot of my stuff still really sucks, though I know that the problem is me and not so much my camera.

What I'm wondering is... should I upgrade the camera? And if so, what would my best option be as to compatability with the equipment I already own?
Or should I stick with the camera, and just focus on getting better lenses?

Price is a bit of a factor for me, however, any of the equipment I sell off would contribute towards the new stuff.
Also I'm not planning on buying anything right this minute so saving is already in the plans.

If, as you say, the problem is you then neither a better camera nor lenses is going to resolve the true problem. Why not focus on learning for a bit and then use that knowledge to decide which it is that you feel is preventing your abilities from improving?

Why not focus on learning for a bit and then use that knowledge to decide which it is that you feel is preventing your abilities from improving?
I am improving. At least in my eyes I am.

I just figured if I am getting more serious about it, eventually I am going to need to upgrade. I'm just trying to figure out what my best options are.

That's my point though. When you get to the point that your equipment is holding you back you will KNOW what you need to upgrade.

I don't know anything about Canon equipment but I do know that 99.999% of the time when someone says that they "Need" something better it's more a fact that they "Want" something better. While there is nothing at all wrong with that it should be noted that all of the original, accepted "Masters" of photography had equipment with fewer features than what you have right now provides for you.

I agree!

With all the hobbies I have, I always make the same mistake by buying £1000's worth of equipment, thinking that it will make me a better photographer/guitarist/mountain biker. When I look back, I should have just spent more time learning the craft, rather than buying the £2000 lens just because it works a little better in low light, etc.

You may be able to shoot in pitch black conditions with a super high ISO body, and a f1.2 lens, but if you can't compose a shot, it's wasted money. However, if you really have to shell out some money (I understand the want for better gear), then spend the money on new lenses before a new camera body.

Just my opinion...

When you can identify things like "I wish this lens did _____" or "this would certainly be easier if my body had _____", then upgrade. Until then, if you don't know what's holding you back, then there's no way to determine what needs upgrading. If your skill is at the point where your not hitting the limits of any of your gear, it's probably in your best interest to wait until you are hitting limits.

It also depends on the stuff you want to shoot....

Personally, looking at your gear list, I'd want a way to get that speedlight off the camera. Have you looked at radio triggers?

I agree!

With all the hobbies I have, I always make the same mistake by buying £1000's worth of equipment, thinking that it will make me a better photographer/guitarist/mountain biker. When I look back, I should have just spent more time learning the craft, rather than buying the £2000 lens just because it works a little better in low light, etc.
Yep. It's way easier to just spend some money hoping for instant results, than to invest the time and effort needed to truly learn how and why.

I think it's called 'instant gratification.'

Stick with what you have and concentrate on learning why your stuff sucks and how to make it not suck. Then as you hit the limits of your equipment upgrade. You don't know what you don't know right now.
Which means you don't know what you will want or need after you learn what you are doing properly. You could turn out to be an all prime kind of person, you could find that you don't need f/2.8 lenses because you are not doing anything that you need to go so low in the f/... You could find out that you want to go full frame and toss every piece of equipment you currently have (those lenses won't go full frame.)
As you discover you really want and NEED THIS or THAT then consider what your options are for upgrade for that lens or other equipment.

Well, obviously you should stick with Canon 1.6 frame. There top of the line is a d7 I think. That would be a good upgrade and your present lenses will work with it. Upgrading your equipment won't make a big difference right away but it will keep your interest up

Most reactions

Back