Which TC for a Nikon 70-200 vr1 ?

nce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just purchased a Nikon 70-200 mm f2.8 vr1 and wanted to get a teleconverter in the near future too. It will be used mostly for shooting outdoor sports and birding. Is there a noticable difference in image quality between the 3 Nikon TC's. I have no experience at all with TC's so any feedback is appreciated.

I use the latest version 1.7x on mine. On a crop-body it's great, on a full-frame, it can be a little soft around the edges. The new 2x is supposed to be pretty darn good, but I didn't want to lose two full stops.

I ended up buying it on ebay. Supposedly it is in as new condition and is one of the newer vr1's. It was from a seller with perfect feedback and it did look new in the pictures, we'll see when it gets here in a few days.

I use the latest version 1.7x on mine. On a crop-body it's great, on a full-frame, it can be a little soft around the edges. The new 2x is supposed to be pretty darn good, but I didn't want to lose two full stops.

I have a D300s so I should hopefully be fine.

Is af supported with the kenko?

I've used a 1.4 with great results, a 1.7 is acceptable in proper conditions, and don't bother with a 2.0.....

The TC-14e or TC-14e-II both work pretty well on the 70-200 VR version 1 lens. I heave heard the 1.7x model works acceptably also. I had a TC20e, and I didn't like it on ANY lens...so I got rid of it.

Now, I understand that the NEWEST 2x converter from Nikon, the Mark III, Aspherical element version, is **significantly** better on the new Nikkor lenses,both on the prime telephotos with AF-S focusing, as well as on the AF-S zooms for which it was designed to be compatible with. I've seen some tests of the new Aspherical converter on the NEW VR-II 70-200 lens, and it performs surprisingly well for a converter, as well as on the new 200 VR and 300 2.8 VR lenses.

Ordinarily though, most people feel that the 1.4x Nikon converters are pretty acceptable in terms of lost speed and lessened quality at the edges of the frame.

Now, I understand that the NEWEST 2x converter from Nikon, the Mark III, Aspherical element version, is **significantly** better on the new Nikkor lenses

I did the "free" weekend rental (bought it, used it for two days, and took it back). Used it on the 70-200 & the 500 f/4... Better, yes, worth $450...NO!!

Most reactions

Back